Thread: Black smudges on bowls in Australia

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 1/1

Default Black smudges on bowls in Australia

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have been watching quite a bit of bowls in Australia and noticed that many of the bowls seem to have black smudges on them - this is of course particularly noticeable on the lighter coloured bowls. Anyone know what these are?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/1
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Manxmano View Post
    I have been watching quite a bit of bowls in Australia and noticed that many of the bowls seem to have black smudges on them - this is of course particularly noticeable on the lighter coloured bowls. Anyone know what these are?

They are probably marks from the the bank where the bowls have been fired into the ditches. My club has new wood banks to prevent collapse of the surrounds and now some of the members woods have a green smudge after firing. You are right it is more noticeable on a coloured wood than a black or brown. But if the bowls are fired hard enough even those dark colours get a mark

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

Are you sure that it is not where someone has used a black felt tip marker to chalk the bowl?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0

I've not known a bowl to pick up a black smudge from the bank - even wooden ones, which are not uncommon where I play.

Do folk use felt tips to mark bowls? Not seen that sort of thing - either real chalk (rare in the lawn game, quite common at short-mat) or spray chalk.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I've not known a bowl to pick up a black smudge from the bank - even wooden ones, which are not uncommon where I play.

Do folk use felt tips to mark bowls? Not seen that sort of thing - either real chalk (rare in the lawn game, quite common at short-mat) or spray chalk.
    I have seen white and coloured water soluble pens as us for sign writing on shop windows used indoors in England.

When white bowls appeared on the circuit I was asked how do you mark a toucher. My reply was with a black indelible permanent marker! To the question how do I wipe it off I used to reply “that’s not my problem”.

EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

Thumbs Up/Down

Ouch! You could try coloured real chalk - one chap at our short-mat group has white bowls and does: but not so good if others don't! I'm not keen on real chalk - I don't like the feel on my fingers and it just gets everywhere - pockets etc.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Ouch! You could try coloured real chalk - one chap at our short-mat group has white bowls and does: but not so good if others don't! I'm not keen on real chalk - I don't like the feel on my fingers and it just gets everywhere - pockets etc.
    I was only taking the Michael. I carry both white and a coloured spray chalk and white and coloured old fashioned chalk.

EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

Thumbs Up/Down

Deep pockets, eh? On all counts!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/1

Quote Originally Posted by astolat View Post
    I have seen white and coloured water soluble pens as us for sign writing on shop windows used indoors in England.

When white bowls appeared on the circuit I was asked how do you mark a toucher. My reply was with a black indelible permanent marker! To the question how do I wipe it off I used to reply “that’s not my problem”.

A clubmate of mine has precisely this, water soluble pens of various colours and also one that fires small bright green spots onto the bowl. Looks like cats eyes at a distance.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/3
    Given: 20/5

Those black smudges might actually be repairs to chipped bowls with all the firing they do down under.