Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Black smudges on bowls in Australia

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rousdon, Devon
    Posts
    16
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 1/1

    Default Black smudges on bowls in Australia


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have been watching quite a bit of bowls in Australia and noticed that many of the bowls seem to have black smudges on them - this is of course particularly noticeable on the lighter coloured bowls. Anyone know what these are?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    around and about in essex
    Posts
    215
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/1
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxmano View Post
    I have been watching quite a bit of bowls in Australia and noticed that many of the bowls seem to have black smudges on them - this is of course particularly noticeable on the lighter coloured bowls. Anyone know what these are?

    They are probably marks from the the bank where the bowls have been fired into the ditches. My club has new wood banks to prevent collapse of the surrounds and now some of the members woods have a green smudge after firing. You are right it is more noticeable on a coloured wood than a black or brown. But if the bowls are fired hard enough even those dark colours get a mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Guildford Surrey UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Are you sure that it is not where someone has used a black felt tip marker to chalk the bowl?



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    335
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I've not known a bowl to pick up a black smudge from the bank - even wooden ones, which are not uncommon where I play.

    Do folk use felt tips to mark bowls? Not seen that sort of thing - either real chalk (rare in the lawn game, quite common at short-mat) or spray chalk.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Guildford Surrey UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I've not known a bowl to pick up a black smudge from the bank - even wooden ones, which are not uncommon where I play.

    Do folk use felt tips to mark bowls? Not seen that sort of thing - either real chalk (rare in the lawn game, quite common at short-mat) or spray chalk.
    I have seen white and coloured water soluble pens as us for sign writing on shop windows used indoors in England.

    When white bowls appeared on the circuit I was asked how do you mark a toucher. My reply was with a black indelible permanent marker! To the question how do I wipe it off I used to reply “that’s not my problem”.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    335
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ouch! You could try coloured real chalk - one chap at our short-mat group has white bowls and does: but not so good if others don't! I'm not keen on real chalk - I don't like the feel on my fingers and it just gets everywhere - pockets etc.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Guildford Surrey UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Ouch! You could try coloured real chalk - one chap at our short-mat group has white bowls and does: but not so good if others don't! I'm not keen on real chalk - I don't like the feel on my fingers and it just gets everywhere - pockets etc.
    I was only taking the Michael. I carry both white and a coloured spray chalk and white and coloured old fashioned chalk.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    335
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Deep pockets, eh? On all counts!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    around and about in essex
    Posts
    215
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/1
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by astolat View Post
    I have seen white and coloured water soluble pens as us for sign writing on shop windows used indoors in England.

    When white bowls appeared on the circuit I was asked how do you mark a toucher. My reply was with a black indelible permanent marker! To the question how do I wipe it off I used to reply “that’s not my problem”.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    A clubmate of mine has precisely this, water soluble pens of various colours and also one that fires small bright green spots onto the bowl. Looks like cats eyes at a distance.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    465
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/3
    Given: 20/5

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Those black smudges might actually be repairs to chipped bowls with all the firing they do down under.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •