Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 metre mark margin of error

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 6/0

Default 2 metre mark margin of error

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What, if any, is a reasonable margin of error when placing 2-meter marks on the green for re-spots? We recently hosted an event, and when I measured the 2-metre marks, some were off by 1-2 cm. They were marked on the green with field paint, so it wasn't a simple matter to move them to be exact.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Margins

Quote Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
    What, if any, is a reasonable margin of error when placing 2-meter marks on the green for re-spots? We recently hosted an event, and when I measured the 2-metre marks, some were off by 1-2 cm. They were marked on the green with field paint, so it wasn't a simple matter to move them to be exact.
    If they should be at 2 metres,then it is difficult to imagine there should be a margin for error,(guess you have 2metre sticks at the club to measure from).Depending on competition details and status you have some leeway as to where you put them anyway)
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/3
    Given: 23/13

Quote Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
    There is no margin for error on this as it is a fixed distance of 2m that is being marked.

In Scotland we use small plastic markers that are inserted into small slots in the green made by a sharp blade and which are, generally, cut at the end of a 2 metre stick which makes their positioning fairly accurate.
    If you don't play it you won't get it.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 6/0

From an engineering perspective, there is always a margin of error. If I use a 2 metre rod to measure from the ditch, there is still going to be less precision than if I use surveying tools. My concern is what level of precision do we expect?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2
    Given: 0/0

Clearly the laws here are precise and do not mention any acceptable level of variation. In practise, especially at less than elite level, that is unlikely to be practical or, often, even possible.

Rather than 'margin or error' I would prefer the word 'tolerance' , as it more accurately depicts matters - 'what we prepared to tolerate'. In practice, and assuming there is no specific guidance to umpires in this area, it must surely be down to the individual umpire at the time. Given that most club players do not seem to know how/where to place the jack using a 2m stick, let alone judge how far a mat is 'up', I, personally, wouldn't get too worked up if the 2m mark/spot/line was 'off' by a centimetre or two (that, of course, is said as a player - officials may look at it differently).
    Last edited by corptaxman; 17-07-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Cannot really see why it is a problem to get them in the right position,firstly establish the centre line of the rink(string between rink centre markings) then string across the 2 metre markings.you have now established the 2 metre position ,measure the required distance for the respots from centre line where the 2strings cross. Should be very accurate,however the question is what error is allowed,there is non,but assuming an umpire measured the green before play started,you can assume they are okay.I am assuming there was an umpire as you hosted the event
    Last edited by john haydock; 17-07-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

It's not difficult to do, as has been said, but I suspect that most people would simply use the 2m sticks, rather than go through the lengthy and slightly awkward rigmarole required. In the question, I am assuming that the existing paint spots were applied using the 2m sticks, which were not entirely accurate: hence the question - which I interpret as : does one 'stay' with the existing spots which aren't 'that' far out - in which case, when does 'not that far out' cease to be such? Strictly, under the rules, we know the answer already!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    It's not difficult to do, as has been said, but I suspect that most people would simply use the 2m sticks, rather than go through the lengthy and slightly awkward rigmarole required. In the question, I am assuming that the existing paint spots were applied using the 2m sticks, which were not entirely accurate: hence the question - which I interpret as : does one 'stay' with the existing spots which aren't 'that' far out - in which case, when does 'not that far out' cease to be such? Strictly, under the rules, we know the answer already!
    i am sure the 2 metre sticks are accurate they will have been checked many times in the past by umpires,there is really no excuse for not getting this position correct
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

They should be accurate, but the point is that in the instance mentioned in the question, they weren't.

Thumbs Up/Down

Cannot see any reference which says the 2metre sticks were not the correct length
    No Grey Areas