Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bendiness

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/13
    Given: 0/0

Default Bendiness

-3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    This is probably the most stupid question ever.
    Why do some woods bend more than others? Sometimes I send one up and it curls just as expected. Then I do another, same weight, ends at about the same length, but it just seems to go almost straight. You can see it in the trails they leave on the green.
    So what's going on here? Poor technique on release, or just grass being a bit random.
    Thanks!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Many issues can have an effect on the arc taken, but, from my experience as a new bowler not that long ago, the delivery is likely to have the greatest one - the better/smoother the delivery, the more consistent the result is likely to be. I found that my delivery improved signifucantly on starting to play short-mat and on an all-weather carpet green, as you are putting less effort into it, and inconsistencies show up more; the same will probably be true for full-length indoor surfaces, although they don't really appeal to me. Try getting your deliveries video'd and see what is differing - then try to cut things out.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by DeTrop View Post
    This is probably the most stupid question ever.
    Why do some woods bend more than others? Sometimes I send one up and it curls just as expected. Then I do another, same weight, ends at about the same length, but it just seems to go almost straight. You can see it in the trails they leave on the green.
    So what's going on here? Poor technique on release, or just grass being a bit random.
    Thanks!
    could well be the green combined with you missing the line,and also putting the bowl down on the high side of the running surface,.Your first step is to ask a fellow bowler to bowl your bowls and see his results,Another interesting check is stand square on the mat and attempt to bowl all bowls straight at the jack,(easier to get the line) Ensure you try to have the same grip at all times,Is your green slow? What model bowl are you using?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Another possibility is the way you hold the wood, i.e. at a slight angle etc.
    I have the ability to make my woods go virtually straight and at other times curve normally. But I've not yet figured out how i get them to go straight I mostly do it by accident.!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by UncleZen View Post
    Another possibility is the way you hold the wood, i.e. at a slight angle etc.
    I have the ability to make my woods go virtually straight and at other times curve normally. But I've not yet figured out how i get them to go straight I mostly do it by accident.!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    As i said it is caused by putting the bowl down on the high side,the running surface is not square to the ground at release.the bowl is in fact tilted to the right in the grip.(forehand delivery right handed bowler)Often done on purpose to achieve the effect talked about,often leads to poor delivery when not intended.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

One other thing I found that affects the degree of swing is not following through in as a straight a line as possible after release - it would often happen when, in an attempt to get my hand of the way to see the line of the bowl, I would bring it across my body. Concentrating on keeping the palm upwards, as if carrying a tray, helped with that.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    One other thing I found that affects the degree of swing is not following through in as a straight a line as possible after release - it would often happen when, in an attempt to get my hand of the way to see the line of the bowl, I would bring it across my body. Concentrating on keeping the palm upwards, as if carrying a tray, helped with that.
    surely what you describe results in missing the line,and this must occur at point of delivery not after.If you have released the bowl, how can turning your hand over have any effect on it,keeping your palm facing forward along line of delivery and then at release and after is needed to produce a good delivery.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

It didn't seem to miss the line that I intended to send the bowl along but did add some 'spin' (or equivalent) that made the bowl arc more (and cut accross the head at the wrong point - so you could say that it missed the line at some point, generally after the shoulder: I would probably reserve that phrase for the start of the delivery).

I suppose that the intention to drag the arm across the body actually started at or just before the point of delivery and, although minor at that stage, is enough to affect matters. It's a bit like the swing/follow-through in golf (analogy with appologies, but I'm afraid I do find the actions similar; although bowling is a bit simpler, as you naturally follow an in-to-out-to-in curve with the golf swing 'around' the body to some extent, and I found that that action followed me into bowls at first which caused problems - I had to eliminate it).

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    It didn't seem to miss the line that I intended to send the bowl along but did add some 'spin' (or equivalent) that made the bowl arc more (and cut accross the head at the wrong point - so you could say that it missed the line at some point, generally after the shoulder: I would probably reserve that phrase for the start of the delivery).

I suppose that the intention to drag the arm across the body actually started at or just before the point of delivery and, although minor at that stage, is enough to affect matters. It's a bit like the swing/follow-through in golf (analogy with appologies, but I'm afraid I do find the actions similar; although bowling is a bit simpler, as you naturally follow an in-to-out-to-in curve with the golf swing 'around' the body to some extent, and I found that that action followed me into bowls at first which caused problems - I had to eliminate it).
    The shoulder is the line,it is the point where the bias of the bowl overtakes the pace and the bowl starts to turn,the shoulder is usually reckoned to be 3/5 the jack length,will vary slightly,especially with Aero bowls.(half way) the width of the shoulder from the centre line will depend on Model being used.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

For me, whether in golf or in bowls, the shoulder is just a point on the line I have visualised the ball/bowl taking to the target I have set, and is the highest point of the trajectory, almost always situated after the bowl starts to turn. Only a word 'though.