Thread: Skip placing his foot to indicate how much green his number two should take.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/7
    Given: 0/0

Default Skip placing his foot to indicate how much green his number two should take.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    During a league match last week one of our skips was indicating how much green his inexperienced number two should take by placing his foot level with the jack and leaving it there until after the bowl had been delivered. After this happened a couple of times his opposite number asked him to stop and told him if he did it again he would stop the bowl has it traveled down the rink. There ensued quite a heated argument lasting a couple of minutes. No one was 100% sure who was in the right or wrong? Someone suggested the action wasn't against the rules but was poor etiquette? Anyone know the answer?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

Law 12.1.3 page 19 CM3.As soon as a bowl is delivered a player level with or in front of the jack,must take up position IAW 12.1.2 .So no problem Do you not have a law book at your club?
    Last edited by john haydock; 04-08-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/8
    Given: 2/0

I think the law that covers this is 12.1.3 As soon as a bowl is delivered, a player who is controlling play from a position that is either level with or in front of the jack, must take their position as described in law 12.1.2. I.e. behind the jack. I've never heard of this being described as poor etiquette.

....must have been composing my reply simultaneously as John was doing his!
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 04-08-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/74
    Given: 95/8

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    I think the law that covers this is 12.1.3 As soon as a bowl is delivered, a player who is controlling play from a position that is either level with or in front of the jack, must take their position as described in law 12.1.2. I.e. behind the jack. I've never heard of this being described as poor etiquette.

....must have been composing my reply simultaneously as John was doing his!
    So can we therefore assume that great minds think alike?
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

If it helps the inexperienced bowler develop their play, and the skip moves behind the jack im all for it. It helps the bowler and the team, the opposition can always do the same as well.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by RichardofKent View Post
    If it helps the inexperienced bowler develop their play, and the skip moves behind the jack im all for it. It helps the bowler and the team, the opposition can always do the same as well.
    Agreed, simply stand behind the jack and indicate the green with foot or whatever.