Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half Australias Tested Bowls Fail

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/74
    Given: 95/8

Default Half Australias Tested Bowls Fail

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Of those bowls tested in Australia that were 5 years old, half have failed, this is what Deltadawn warned us about over the years, so if you wanna beat someone desperately, challenge their bowls, especially those Narrow Bias Ones.

Warning here from Bowls Australia.

https://www.bowls.com.au/tried-and-t...o-check-bowls/
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

A surprisingly high failure % - although the article doesn't actually say that "of those bowls tested in Australia that were 5 years old, half have failed"

It only says that it is recommended to have bowls tested 'as often as every five years' and that of the bowls tested (not stating that they were 5 years old, or of any age) by the two testers 'an average of half of those have failed'.

Thumbs Up/Down

Stamps being valid for 10 years though makes a bit of a mockery of all this stuff, and why do only Australia and the UK have testing tables when its supposed to be a World Sport?

The whole testing debacle is farcicle really, they test for grouping on the table, then use sandpaper on an old lathe to shave the running surface of computer turned precision instruments and just because they then group as a set, say they are corrected, yet often, on the green, those bowls which were altered to group in one spot on the test table, take a different line to the jack than the un-altered ones, doubt the powers to be will ever act though on this, do they have any idea?
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down

Proabably.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Testig stations

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Proabably.
    Who said the only testing stations are in uk and Australia
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    I did!!!

One is planned for Malaysia, but as shown, not operational.

http://www.worldbowls.com/equipment/...tures-testers/

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    The 'probably' was in response to the final paragraph comment / question, but he's right as to the location of authorised testers. I assume that's down to the relative numbers of bowlers in countries and the cost of getting set up/approved?

Why was it ever decided that bowls should comply and be from a 'set' made the same/contemporaneously? In most sports you can use the tools needed for the job (different golf clubs allowed for different purposes - but these days limited in number; in tennis you can chop and change racket tension etc). The players, of course, may prefer to keep the same single tool for each game, and to know they are still in synch, but is there any reason that shouldn't be a personal choice? In short-mat, I believe you can mostly use what you like, subject only to a very few limits - although I've never (knowingly) seen other than a matched set in use.

What the article does not say, or question, is, of course, how many bowls in use out there do not comply that aren't being tested? Naturally, we can't answer that - but, at simple club level, it's likely to be higher still by quite a margin given the increased average age of non-tested bowls. Even if you made free testing available, would the % taken in increase by much? I suspect not, with apathy and the problem of getting your bowls to a tester.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/2
    Given: 10/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Why was it ever decided that bowls should comply and be from a 'set' made the same/contemporaneously? In most sports you can use the tools needed for the job (different golf clubs allowed for different purposes - but these days limited in number; in tennis you can chop and change racket tension etc). The players, of course, may prefer to keep the same single tool for each game, and to know they are still in synch, but is there any reason that shouldn't be a personal choice? In short-mat, I believe you can mostly use what you like, subject only to a very few limits - although I've never (knowingly) seen other than a matched set in use

Sit down in a cool room with a cup of tea, read that through and have a think....Then delete it...

Thumbs Up/Down

"...Then delete it..." : Why?

I'm not saying that at present one can use what one likes, as the rules do not allow it. I'm simply querying the reasons for the rules and asking some seemingly valid questions for the future. There will always need to be some limits on the bowls permitted (mostly size /weight ie those affected more by personal strength etc) but does there need to be so many other restrictions given the (often strong) feelings here as to effective bias etc that, in the opinion of some, circumevent the rules in any event.

Please note that I am not supporting changes in this respect - just questioning the issue.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    Sit down in a cool room with a cup of tea, read that through and have a think....Then delete it...
    Agreed, now we have two of em.