Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Half Australias Tested Bowls Fail

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Much more common outdoors than indoors in our area" - at the lowly level I play that is certainly true. Only a small % of players I have come across have bowls younger than 10years - most have bowls with multiple stamps, and a few still have only a pre-'85 stamp.

Oddly enough, I would say that a higher % of short mat bowlers seem to have new bowls.

I would suspect that outdoors it is the quality of the greens that affects matters more than the whether or not the bowls are still consistent - if any of the bowls are 'off' it may not show up.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/16
    Given: 2/2

I would say in my club with 250 members there may be 3sets of restamped bowls, but i dont doubt what you are saying,I guess the reason is not many of those 250 are ever going to reach National Finals,so why would they bother with restamping, there are plenty black bowls about with 1985 stamps which are perfectly legal for at least 95% of bowlers,you are of course bound to see more at National Finals
    Last edited by john haydock; 10-08-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

I don't think many 'ordinary' players understand the stamping rules fully - I met one chap last year who played with old Lignums that he had had refurbished/restamped (and they looked lovely) ; he told me that even showing some players the in-date restamp was not enough to convince them that they were 'legal', so he took to carrying around the test certificate as well.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I don't think many 'ordinary' players understand the stamping rules fully - I met one chap last year who played with old Lignums that he had had refurbished/restamped (and they looked lovely) ; he told me that even showing some players the in-date restamp was not enough to convince them that they were 'legal', so he took to carrying around the test certificate as well.
    Most ordinary players only need to know 1985 or later. The ordinary guy would not need showing as he does not understand anyway!!!
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/2
    Given: 2/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Bushman;1649419]Stamps being valid for 10 years though makes a bit of a mockery of all this stuff, and why do only Australia and the UK have testing tables when its supposed to be a World Sport? [quote]

Maybe, as BA had compulsory 10 yr testing until just recently, it encouraged private individuals to offer the service required, even though this local law was not actually enforced. In NZ NZBA provided chutes for testing on the green which gives the correct bias read on all bowls which the testing table can no longer do under current testing procedures [since 2002]
    NZ abandoned the 10 yr test in 1983 to cover up the alteration of bias that synthetic sand topped greens causes. The problem was no-one here had the equipment to fix the bias changes. I sold new sets of Henselite Supergrip in 1983 for NZ$169, it would've cost nearly that much in freight and fees to send back to the factory for rectification.
    Voluntary compliance is how this game functions, except at Inl't level where compliance has to be seen to be done, even when it's fake.

I can give a "test pass" to a set of bowls on the table and then do the same test on the green and they will take much less bias than the World Bowls minimum draw bowl and would be failed for taking non legal bias. With all this going conveniently unnoticed by administrators and players alike, then we don't have a problem that needs fixing.
    In over 100 posts on this forum over the years, almost entirely on the subject of falsification of compliance, not one official has ever challenged me about the "fake test" currently performed by manufactures and testers.
    Last edited by Deltadawn; 01-10-2019 at 12:23 AM.