Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Impulse Laser Measure

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 6/0

Default Impulse Laser Measure

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Has anyone taken a look at this: https://laserbowlsmeasure.com/ It appears to at least partially address my concern that the other laser measures fail to account for bowls not being perfectly round.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/73
    Given: 93/8

Read the claims and occasional umm, well, leave it up to you guys to decide, even supplies a "Peg" to place in the ditch so you can measure to the elevated tip, too much discussion to copy and paste, but it is claimed to be legal to use, so who is going to tell us any different?

Posted on Facebook, hope you can view it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1459..._comment_reply
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 6/0

I believe the "peg" he's referring to is the traditional peg/string measure.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
    I believe the "peg" he's referring to is the traditional peg/string measure.
    Never ever heard of a string being referred to as a "Peg" must be a UK expression, we just refer to them as stringlines. Bit late here right now, I'm all Pegged Out.
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2
    Given: 0/0

Is it certain that the measure will always rest on the nearest point of the bowl to the jack? The measure is of constant height, and I could envisage a situation where, say, the bowl has its belly leaning in towards the jack - the nearest point could easily be above the top of the measure, so it will not give the correct shortest distance.

I've just tried this position with an ordinary box measure and a small - size 1: it should be more exaggerated with a larger one - bowl and it does not come up high enough to reach what should be the nearest point of the bowl. Is that not why we measure from the jack to the bowl in on-green situations - with a standard box measure you automatically get the centre point of the jack, as it is set up that way, and it is up to the measurer to correctly stretch the string (or whatever) to the nearest point - which will not alwasy be horizontal with the centre of the jack/ground. With this measure, you would again seem to be focusing the laser at the centre of the jack, horizontally to the ground, but will not always start the measure from the nearest point of the bowl, giving a false measurement.

In the photos in the ad. there is one with the bowl with its belly closest to the jack - but it looks to be 100% vertical, not inward leaning.

For a one-armed bowler (I played in a friendly where there was one last Saturday) surely the simplest answer with a standard measure is for someone else to stretch the string or hold the measure, just as you would for a long measure where you couldn't adequately reach yourself.

In theory, it should be possible to design a laser measure that allows the beam to be focused on the bowl horizontally and then 'cranked' upwards or downwards to get a closest point reading - but, complicated/expensive to make and and a little time consuming, perhaps.

Thumbs Up/Down

All measures should be made from the Jack to the Bowl, not the reverse, which is where this guy stuffs up, yet he continues promoting this "Approved" device (His Words not mine) to all and sundry and no one in Authority seems to chip in and stop him, next thing people will all start measuring things incorrectly, not only with this thing, but with things like Box String Measures, and all of a sudden the Umpires will be pulling what hair they have left out.

Really, its a UK problem, someone should sort him out, but will they? Or will they stay silent and sit on the fence as usual?

Thumbs Up/Down

Does the firm advertise anywhere other than that webpage? The latter doesn't actually contain any mention of approval/legality or, for that matter, that it will provide the closest distance measurement. It's very spartan and basically only says: "Accurately measure from bowl to jack using one hand" and that it presumably does: it should measure accurately the distance it is set to measure, but the distance will not always be the correct one for bowls purposes.

Difficult to see how any authority could challenge this except possibly by arguing that it is confusing/misleading for anyone participating in the sport governed by its laws/rules. I suppose it's 'legal' use could be specfically prohibited, but that could be problematic in itself as regards other equipment and if it is done only in/by the UK when the website is visible internationally and international orders accepted.

Thumbs Up/Down

I take it then you did not or could not read the claims made on the Facebook link displayed earlier.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/9
    Given: 0/2

I've already asked him twice on facebook how it measures accurately on a heavily canted bowl and twice i've received no answer. Answered every other question but not this one.

Thumbs Up/Down

Re #8 - sorry, no. I don't 'do' Facebook or the like. I'm not sure whether/how any Facebook statements 'count' legally - does anyone know?

Re #9 - not surprised: I can't see how that can be responded to positively! I've just sent a Q to them using the messaging facility on their website.