Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 5/0

Default Practice

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We have a player who regularly practices on our single green before club competitions. When the draw for rinks occurs, he obviously can't be allowed to play on the rinks he has practiced on.
    1. The laws say that practice is allowed when the opposition has already played a game. How about in other circumstances?
    2. If practice is allowed, what is to prevent a player from playing on a rink he doesn't like just to ensure it is removed from the draw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    National Ump

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
    We have a player who regularly practices on our single green before club competitions. When the draw for rinks occurs, he obviously can't be allowed to play on the rinks he has practiced on.
    1. The laws say that practice is allowed when the opposition has already played a game. How about in other circumstances?
    2. If practice is allowed, what is to prevent a player from playing on a rink he doesn't like just to ensure it is removed from the draw?So before the draw for rinks is made

1.Practice requires the approval of the Controlling Body 2.If the controlling body allow practice they will Tell him which rink he can practice on.Law 3 .3 says he cannot practice after the draw for rinks has been made. Law 3.4 also gives the MNA authority to make there own decisions on control of practice.So what if anything has he done wrong?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    1.Practice requires the approval of the Controlling Body 2.If the controlling body allow practice they will Tell him which rink he can practice on.Law 3 .3 says he cannot practice after the draw for rinks has been made. Law 3.4 also gives the MNA authority to make there own decisions on control of practice.So what if anything has he done wrong?
    Thank you John, that's what I'm trying to acertain. This is not on a day of competition, but on single matchs, arranged between individuals players as part of knockout. Disqualifying yourself from a rink you dislike would seem, at the best, to be gamesmanship.

National Ump

Thumbs Up/Down

If this is not on the day of a competition he has done even less wrong!,,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    If this is not on the day of a competition he has done even less wrong!,,
    I didn't explain myself properly. It's not prior to an organised competition but immediately prior to a single match.

National Ump

Thumbs Up/Down

Default competition

I didn't explain myself properly. It's not prior to an organised competition but immediately prior to a single match.

A single match must be a competition, if it is not a competition is it a social game.The single match must be part of something,if it is a social game what has he done wrong? Thought for the day=. What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it is all about
    Last edited by john haydock; 26-08-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/9
    Given: 0/2

Thank you John, that's what I'm trying to acertain. This is not on a day of competition, but on single matchs, arranged between individuals players as part of knockout. Disqualifying yourself from a rink you dislike would seem, at the best, to be gamesmanship.

I understand what you're saying. He's essentially preventing a rink he dislikes from being entered into the rink draw. However, most COPs would simply state a rink draw of more than 1 rink so if he's the challenger he could not enter that rink anyway. If he's the opponent, then potentially, he's 'bending' the rules to suit himself. I'm guessing it's a club comp but unless the COP prevent him from playing on a rink before the draw he's perfectly within his rights?

Thumbs Up/Down

Why? Is he preventing a rink from going in the draw Old Pilot has already said it is not an organised competition
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

He's not saying that John (I think). He's saying that IT IS a competition, but simply a normal round with challenger/opponent turning up at the agreed time, drawing a rink from those available, and then playing. Even if 1,2,3,4,5,6 are all technically available, practising on (say) 3 would normally eliminate it from the draw and hence avoid the unwanted rink.

Assume it's a BE county singles if that makes it easier to understand; no umpire and usually no representative of the Controlling Body.
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down

Default National singles

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    He's not saying that John (I think). He's saying that IT IS a competition, but simply a normal round with challenger/opponent turning up at the agreed time, drawing a rink from those available, and then playing. Even if 1,2,3,4,5,6 are all technically available, practising on (say) 3 would normally eliminate it from the draw and hence avoid the unwanted rink.

Assume it's a BE county singles if that makes it easier to understand; no umpire and usually no representative of the Controlling Body.
    Lets assume then it is a national singles,so 2rinks must be offered,can you tell me where it says which rinks must be eliminated from the draw,his exact words it is not a competition,so when did county singles become anything other than an organised competition.
    Last edited by john haydock; 27-08-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    No Grey Areas