Thread: Increasing green speed

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 5/0

Default Increasing green speed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi,

What is the advice in regards to increasing the pace of a green?

Is it simply down to watering - if the green is in very good condition otherwise.

Ours looks very green, all year round, the green is cut very regularly - so the length of the grass is not the issue. Most visiting players remark on how well the green looks. The only negative is the pace, it is slower than some surrounding greens, throughout the year by a good yard or two.

To me, it looks like a lovely green lawn - without the pace it needs.

One of the best greens I played on this year was very hard, and not very green! But the pace was excellent and the lines were super.

Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 38/4
    Given: 13/7

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    No more watering than is absolutely necessary. If the green looks very green in colour and lush it has probably been over watered.
    Scarify regularly during the playing season to get rid of the thatch and also spike every month so that the rain can easily get down to the roots.
    But the most important thing is NOT to over water. Automatic systems should be used with care and common sense. I have been to clubs after two days of heavy continuous rain and the automatic watering system has sprung into life in the late evening and no one there knew how to turn it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

I was talking with a greenkeeper the other day about there slow green,it looked like a front garden with stripes etc.It had not been scarified for at least a year,and he said you cannot do it in the playing season,they also had automatic watering (kiss of death), He also said the green has become slower year by year, He was a volunteer with little training ,green keeping is a skilled job ,and if training is not possible then advice could be sought from STRI, Once a year scarifying is not enough
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 5/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks

What about hollow tining? Does this increase green speed?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by saintlysimon View Post
    Thanks

What about hollow tining? Does this increase green speed?
    Yes it is good to aerate and it also helps to reduce compaction,best done in the growing season,and .and top dressed afterwards.Can also be done at end of season
    No Grey Areas