Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touchers

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Touchers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Three times this week i have been asked not to mark a toucher until the next bowl has been delivered,i told them all i have always chalked before and will continue to do so.They all threw some toys out of the prams,and insisted i should learn the laws. Is this a new trait and has anyone come across it recently.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2
    Given: 0/0

They certainly shouldn't ask you to delay marking it (refer them to law 13.2 for example) - although in practice, I do see many people waiting until the next bowl is in the course of delivery before moving forward to mark it if the next bowler is clearly ready to deliver. You could try telling them that their request risks the bowl ceasing to be a toucher under 15.3!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 104/12
    Given: 32/5

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    make em wait!!

They will learn their lesson when they drive and you remove their non-marked toucher from the ditch
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/3
    Given: 71/0

If anyone ever says something rubbish like this, I ask them to show me the law that they are supposedly referring to. Of course, they never have a rule book!.......... I do, though. I keep one in my bag. Soon shuts them up

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    They certainly shouldn't ask you to delay marking it (refer them to law 13.2 for example) - although in practice, I do see many people waiting until the next bowl is in the course of delivery before moving forward to mark it if the next bowler is clearly ready to deliver. You could try telling them that their request risks the bowl ceasing to be a toucher under 15.3!
    The player who is now moving forward to mark the bowl is he infringing the law on rink possession ? And could the same apply to the player who is ready to bowl before the team have time to mark the toucher
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    No because possession of the rink does not start until the bowl has been marked
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Umpy View Post
    No because possession of the rink does not start until the bowl has been marked
    Hi Umpy can you explain how that then fits in with Law 13.2 (i must be getting old)
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 5/1

Hi John,
    Umpy has given the correct definition of possession in accordance with the Law, what's your concern?
    13.2 As soon as each bowl comes to rest, possession of the rink will transfer to theopposing player or team after allowing time for marking a toucher as soon as itcomes to rest

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Hi John,
    Umpy has given the correct definition of possession in accordance with the Law, what's your concern?
    13.2 As soon as each bowl comes to rest, possession of the rink will transfer to theopposing player or team after allowing time for marking a toucher as soon as itcomes to rest
    My point is they are not marking it as soon as it comes to rest, but are waiting until the next bowl is on its way, by which time they are not in possession of the rink, and there actions could be annoying the team in possession of the rink, that is my concern
    Last edited by john haydock; 23-09-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Oh I see sorry
    If the bowl is on its way how can marking a toucher annoy interfere or distract the opponent.
    The law allows a toucher to be marked up to the time the next bowl comes to rest so I am not sure rink possession should even need to be considered