Thread: Genuine Users?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Genuine Users?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Today, on the forum summary at the bottom, I saw this:

Most users ever online was 680, 30-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    UncleZen, 1Barret1Lok, MduUyyqBug, MduUyyqdelo, MduUyyqHerb, MduUyyqKat, MikeW001, NicoT, Sticky, Umachan, WilliamZet

4 of those look like auto-generated usernames, used for spamming the site.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

I think the user names given there are most-current ones on-line, and not related to the daily maximum? A quick search of the users does not reveal those 4 - so can't locate any posts they may, or may not, have made. So, no obvious attempt at spamming visible.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/2
    Given: 15/0

Quote Originally Posted by UncleZen View Post
    Today, on the forum summary at the bottom, I saw this:

Most users ever online was 680, 30-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    UncleZen, 1Barret1Lok, MduUyyqBug, MduUyyqdelo, MduUyyqHerb, MduUyyqKat, MikeW001, NicoT, Sticky, Umachan, WilliamZet

4 of those look like auto-generated usernames, used for spamming the site.
    The suspicious looking identities might like to Spam the site but are constrained by the registration process. Only registered users can post or see the member only areas of the site.

The application requires a response to an email from this site. There are currently nearly 11,500 applications in this state!

After that, the application goes into a queue for a human to assess the application is genuine. This is the job for an administrator and I can tell you at the moment we are getting about 50 applications per day and nearly all get deleted.

The rate of applications from spammers jumped a couple on months ago. Just the way of the internet world, I'm afraid.

GH

PS There was a time when the Moderators had to swat spammers after they'd registered and started posting nasties.