Thread: marker changing his/her mind

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 0/0

Default marker changing his/her mind

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    marker is asked who is shot - looks at head and says white bowl is shot. white bowls a conservative non- reaching bowl. marker realises that red was shot. what should marker do if anything? still bowls to play.
    ruff!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

U
    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    marker is asked who is shot - looks at head and says white bowl is shot. white bowls a conservative non- reaching bowl. marker realises that red was shot. what should marker do if anything? still bowls to play.
    Correct his error at the first available opportunity. As an example if you gave an answer, and after a bowl fell in you would advise players ,this is no different
    Last edited by john haydock; 09-11-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3

I would view it as different, in that in the question posed, the circumstances have not changed - simply the marker's opinion of them: he should therefore tell the players as soon as possible of that, and I would apologise for the previous information given (which may have affected the subsequent shot played).

In the case of a bowl falling in and changing what is shot, the marker would have been correct in the first instance and properly carried out his duties in that respect (L42.2.7); I would question whether he should voluntarily mention the subsequent change in circumstances unless asked again.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I would view it as different, in that in the question posed, the circumstances have not changed - simply the marker's opinion of them: he should therefore tell the players as soon as possible of that, and I would apologise for the previous information given (which may have affected the subsequent shot played).

In the case of a bowl falling in and changing what is shot, the marker would have been correct in the first instance and properly carried out his duties in that respect (L42.2.7); I would question whether he should voluntarily mention the subsequent change in circumstances unless asked again.
    So a player visits the head as he walks back up the rink a bowl falls in are you saying you would not tell him because he did not ask???
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 106/12
    Given: 33/5

Apologies and correct your mistake as soon as possible.

Of hope and pray the next bowl moves the jack LOL
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 7/1

Quote Originally Posted by Umpy View Post
    Apologies and correct your mistake as soon as possible.

Of hope and pray the next bowl moves the jack LOL
    Don't know what you mean!
    "It'll do a trip"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Re post #4 : yes - the player should look again for himself before bowling, in case of such an event occurring - it is not part of the marker's duties to point things out to him unless asked: to do so would be giving unsolicited information (which the bowler may or may not be grateful for - he may even have noticed the fall-in himself from the mat, but not shown it). The two cases you instanced are different in character and timing.

Thumbs Up/Down

Re post #4 : yes - the player should look again for himself before bowling, in case of such an event occurring - it is not part of the marker's duties to point things out to him unless asked: to do so would be giving unsolicited information (which the bowler may or may not be grateful for - he may even have noticed the fall-in himself from the mat, but not shown it). The two cases you instanced are different in character and timing.
    I guess you are not an experienced marker then.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 106/12
    Given: 33/5

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wow
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association