Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will It Ever Be Enforced?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 58/16
    Given: 2/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fed4ever View Post
    Bushy,
    There are two Laws here, one is EBA and the other is EBF, please note the difference in wording, the first as you well know is EBA and the second is EBF which is also the original wording of EBA until it was changed some years ago. Note the wording “ALL OR PART OF AT LEAST ONE FOOT” this is a get out of jail clause which players and those who see no wrong quote when they are tackled about it, yet how many players actually look at their feet after delivery to see if they are compliant. Until the wording is changed back again I’m afraid you will always have this argument, however keep plugging away at it, perhaps sometime in the future those who make the rules will realise just how much it annoys the ordinary bowler and do something about it. It may seem that you’re alone in this on here but there are loads of rank and file bowlers who agree with you.

EBA
    Before delivery a player must be standing on the mat with all or part of at least one foot on the mat. At the moment they deliver the jack or a bowl, the player must have all or part of one foot on or above the mat.

EBF
    The player at the moment of delivering the jack or his bowl shall have one foot entirely within the confines of the mat; the foot may be either in contact with, or over, the mat. Failure to observe this law constitutes "foot-faulting".
    Bushy will not be aware of EBF played by i think 13 counties in UK.Changingthe CM3Law willmake no difference to those who blatantly foot fault specially when firing.Players need to be making more effort to appeal to umpires concerning foot faulting, and umpires are then required to start observing and just maybe something will happen.I have played both codes and watch both codes the foot fault in EBF is abused equally as much as in B E
    Last edited by john haydock; 14-11-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/3
    Given: 72/0

I'm not sure I agree with the 'loads of bowlers' agree with this. I don't remember hearing more than the occasional observation from a spectator and almost nothing from players over the last 8 years or so since I started playing again. My personal observations would be that very few people are concerned about this - and as mentioned before have much more to worry about. It may well be that your club or area complain about this more - perhaps because a few bowlers drive the discussion - but I really don't come across this as an issue. Another way of changing the rule could be to say something like 'the delivery must start with at least part of one foot on the mat and a maximum of one step can be taken' - that would take the problem away of whether the foot has to stay on the mat, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fed4ever View Post
    It may seem that you’re alone in this on here but there are loads of rank and file bowlers who agree with you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/3
    Given: 72/0

..... much bigger issue is the wearing of bl***y grey trousers and white tops. It just kills the game.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/74
    Given: 95/8

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the 'loads of bowlers' agree with this. I don't remember hearing more than the occasional observation from a spectator and almost nothing from players over the last 8 years or so since I started playing again. My personal observations would be that very few people are concerned about this - and as mentioned before have much more to worry about. It may well be that your club or area complain about this more - perhaps because a few bowlers drive the discussion - but I really don't come across this as an issue. Another way of changing the rule could be to say something like 'the delivery must start with at least part of one foot on the mat and a maximum of one step can be taken' - that would take the problem away of whether the foot has to stay on the mat, or not.
    Problem is so many do it, the law needs to be applied, or dropped, if Umpires are just going to turn a blind eye to it, why have it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Couldn't agree more. Bushy is right on the money with this.

As regards gaining an advantage, I'd suggest the examples (shot, javelin, long jump) may not necessarily be the best - how about darts ? It's easy for a lay person to think that having the oche closer to the board makes little difference, but scientifically the simple ratio of target size to distance means closer means easier.

Postscript: any keen darts players out there, please note that I am fully aware that SHORT TERM any change in the distance to the board would disrupt player rhythm; I'm talking in theory.
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

There is a player at a club nearby (to me) that pretty much foot faults 7 out of 10 times. Its a taboo subject for skips. They dont care, they dont want to confront him. It irritates me that its a rule of the game that is not followed. I once mentioned to him and got a pile of abuse back from him. He was still blanking me over food later.
    I figured that I probably dont want to play against him again, and if I have to for some reason (bad planning on my part), I might just walk several feet away from the mat and deliver my bowl in a childish attempt at proving a point.