Thread: In the absence of an umpire...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Default In the absence of an umpire...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Okay, so we've all come across them - the bowlers who basically do whatever they want, stroll up the rink when they haven't got possession, step into the next rink (just) to let you bowl, and when challenged, state something like "I've been playing many years and know the rules backwards". Add to that, shouting instructions to their teammates when (their) opponents' bowl is in motion, etc.

If you're lucky enough to have an umpire in charge, there are options if they carry on. However, what do you do if there isn't ? Let them carry on breaking the rules ?

I see that the definition of "cheating" includes "to act unfairly in order to gain an advantage"; sounds about right.
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 58/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Okay, so we've all come across them - the bowlers who basically do whatever they want, stroll up the rink when they haven't got possession, step into the next rink (just) to let you bowl, and when challenged, state something like "I've been playing many years and know the rules backwards". Add to that, shouting instructions to their teammates when (their) opponents' bowl is in motion, etc.

If you're lucky enough to have an umpire in charge, there are options if they carry on. However, what do you do if there isn't ? Let them carry on breaking the rules ?

I see that the definition of "cheating" includes "to act unfairly in order to gain an advantage"; sounds about right.
    I assume you are talking indoors due to the time of year,Do you have an indoor Committee,there remit must be to run the club and competitions I.A.W. The CM3 Law book,so they sre are your first line of attack,if they have anything about them they will address the problem with the players concerned..Do you have a section board for Ettiquette and Laws,we do and we change every fortnight,with questions on the laws etc. My experience is the level of ability is no guide to amount of knowledge.Your committee members .Competition sec. League sec.Captain etc.should take it on themselves to deal with the culprits, my bet is they know who they are anyway,if they dont,vote them out next year.The problem is never as bad outdoors, wider rinks ,less encroachment etc.You should also remember that the law on rink possession requires you to indicate that the actions annoy you,or distract you etc. Many games are played quite happily with infringements of rink possession from both sides,
    Last edited by john haydock; 25-11-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Most recently it was an EIBA National competition, played on the offender's green. The (clear) infringement was pointed out, rebutted as above, and then escalated to the skip, who couldn't see that anything was wrong.

I do take on board that there are officials at that Club who MIGHT support any complaint, but at the time there seemed to be a significant number of spectators who supported the offender's view that he was doing nothing wrong, and being unfairly "got at".

Do you genuinely think a polite email from the Area Coordinator would make much difference ?
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 58/16
    Given: 2/2

Default E mail

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Most recently it was an EIBA National competition, played on the offender's green. The (clear) infringement was pointed out, rebutted as above, and then escalated to the skip, who couldn't see that anything was wrong.

I do take on board that there are officials at that Club who MIGHT support any complaint, but at the time there seemed to be a significant number of spectators who supported the offender's view that he was doing nothing wrong, and being unfairly "got at".

Do you genuinely think a polite email from the Area Coordinator would make much difference ?
    At least you have started something(better than nothing)and any future reports at least will hopefully now make them notice, if everybody does nothing you will get nowhere.This behaviour will be known by others, players do not suddenly decide to
    Push there luck,and flout the laws.On our notice board i recently highlighted the Law on rink possession,in language everyone managed to understand,many said later they were not completely understanding of the law before this.Perhaps after the game you could point out the relevant law to him.There must have been a Law book available?I think the initial complaint should go through the offending players skip in the first place.
    Last edited by john haydock; 25-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    No Grey Areas