Thread: Step or no step

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Step or no step

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Advice please.
    I now play only outdoors but have played indoors for 2 years. When playing indoors, like most people, i do not a step on delivery as it is essentially only a "wrist only" delivery. Outside again like most bowlers i do take a step to help generate the force for the additional power required on grass.
    I find that my line is more consistent indoors and am contemplating trying not to take a step outdoors next season.
    Being a big bloke I believe that i would be able to reach the head ok albeit my arm movement would have to be quicker ( and hence probably slightly less accurate) than if i generate the power required by taking a step forward.
    Have any members changed their delivery action in this way and did it work??
    Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 58/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Indoor technique

Quote Originally Posted by pablo69 View Post
    Advice please.
    I now play only outdoors but have played indoors for 2 years. When playing indoors, like most people, i do not a step on delivery as it is essentially only a "wrist only" delivery. Outside again like most bowlers i do take a step to help generate the force for the additional power required on grass.
    I find that my line is more consistent indoors and am contemplating trying not to take a step outdoors next season.
    Being a big bloke I believe that i would be able to reach the head ok albeit my arm movement would have to be quicker ( and hence probably slightly less accurate) than if i generate the power required by taking a step forward.
    Have any members changed their delivery action in this way and did it work??
    Thanks
    Your idea of indoor being a wrist delivery is certainly not what we coach,and is not what most bowlers do,static stance is the last thing we teach when all else fails,a popular method of weight adjustment indoors is to reduce the length of step,so if you dont have a step then you disadvantaged straight away,also a step forward down the right line will help improve accuracy,the foot should point towards your shoulder,with hips and shoulders parallel to the ground.players delivering from a fixed stance tend to drop the shoulder,cannot think of any top players playing from fixed stance either.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/3
    Given: 72/0

My pairs player outdoors doesn't take a step. He's a builder and obviously quite strong, but has previously had problems with his knees, so that's probably why he doesn't step. He is probably the best lead/draw bowler in the club. I'm sure that you could play perfectly well like this. Personally, although I do step forward I don't have any backswing and just push it from the front. Try it and see. If not, maybe practise with different size steps - also make sure you are balanced ok - I find that the shooter stance helps with that. Also, I've known a few very successful bowlers play off the wrong leg - as it helps keep their balance and helps find the line. Experiment and observe. See what happens.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    My pairs player outdoors doesn't take a step. He's a builder and obviously quite strong, but has previously had problems with his knees, so that's probably why he doesn't step. He is probably the best lead/draw bowler in the club. I'm sure that you could play perfectly well like this. Personally, although I do step forward I don't have any backswing and just push it from the front. Try it and see. If not, maybe practise with different size steps - also make sure you are balanced ok - I find that the shooter stance helps with that. Also, I've known a few very successful bowlers play off the wrong leg - as it helps keep their balance and helps find the line. Experiment and observe. See what happens.
    I find it hard to believe you suggest he plays outdoors with no backswing.you must be playing on some exceptional greens in the early season. Or maybe an artificial surface
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2
    Given: 8/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Your idea of indoor being a wrist delivery is certainly not what we coach,and is not what most bowlers do,static stance is the last thing we teach when all else fails,a popular method of weight adjustment indoors is to reduce the length of step,so if you dont have a step then you disadvantaged straight away,also a step forward down the right line will help improve accuracy,the foot should point towards your shoulder,with hips and shoulders parallel to the ground.players delivering from a fixed stance tend to drop the shoulder,cannot think of any top players playing from fixed stance either.
    Don't quite undersatnd this, John. Do you, perhaps, mean the shoulder on the bowls line to the jack?
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by 1940mike View Post
    Don't quite undersatnd this, John. Do you, perhaps, mean the shoulder on the bowls line to the jack?
    Yes the shoulder of the green not many contortionists playing bowls
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/3
    Given: 72/0

We do have an exceptional green - however, there are quite a few turkeys around and much that I dislike on playing very heavy and slow greens, neither of us change our delivery and can cope fine.