Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Step or no step

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I will say it possible to stand sideways on and bowl without a step forward. One of our coaches teaches this to people with limited mobility, it can work. So you don't have to have a step forward, but outdoor if you don't I cannot see where the power comes from on slow/wet greens. Momentum forward is a must on some of the ultra slow greens we have to play on in spring, and a bigger step forward helps propel the bowls forwards. On many greens we use, the ladies are at a distinct disadvantage with lack of power early and late season. One club in our league has a good idea in spring that the mat length is limited to 25 meters maximum. Even some men struggle early season in it wet. Its a game for both sexes so I'm all for playing fair lengths.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 61/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    I will say it possible to stand sideways on and bowl without a step forward. One of our coaches teaches this to people with limited mobility, it can work. So you don't have to have a step forward, but outdoor if you don't I cannot see where the power comes from on slow/wet greens. Momentum forward is a must on some of the ultra slow greens we have to play on in spring, and a bigger step forward helps propel the bowls forwards. On many greens we use, the ladies are at a distinct disadvantage with lack of power early and late season. One club in our league has a good idea in spring that the mat length is limited to 25 meters maximum. Even some men struggle early season in it wet. Its a game for both sexes so I'm all for playing fair lengths.
    I can understand having a reduced length in club play, but in a league how can that be,or is that not want you meant,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

John.
    The green I'm talking about is surrounded by large trees and gets very little sun early season, hence its bloody slow. So that the ladies can compete, the club sets a maximum jack length at the start of the playing year. The club can do as it likes as you know, with the league while I don't know the story I'm sure if you agreed with the club captain you could set a mat length to suit all bowlers. Its unfair to the ladies if they cannot reach a length, where is the fun winning because of that?

In April my club runs a Gala with a few nice prizes. But men always win and the ladies don't have a chance on the full length. We even have men unwilling to "play fair" and set shorter jack lengths to make the game more competitive for the ladies in the club. I no longer enter this comp at my own club, because they will not compromise and many ladies only play mid-season when it's warmer and the greens are quicker. Don't you ever have this in your experience then John?
    Last edited by richardhb; 11-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3

We have several large trees overshadowing one end of our green and have the same effect - both for some ladies and a couple of our more elderly (90+) men. It certainly affects matters at the start of the season - exacerbated last year by a heavy thatch problem. We've never introduced a formal maximum jack length policy, but in friendlies etc it tends to be applied naturally - although nothing has been done for league matches (as a small club, we only have a men's league team).

One club I went to early last year also had a very heavy/soft green at that point - I'm not sure if it was a conscious decision but they had protective covers down on the delivery areas which were 'up' somewhat, so shortening the effective length naturally.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    John.
    The green I'm talking about is surrounded by large trees and gets very little sun early season, hence its bloody slow. So that the ladies can compete, the club sets a maximum jack length at the start of the playing year. The club can do as it likes as you know, with the league while I don't know the story I'm sure if you agreed with the club captain you could set a mat length to suit all bowlers. Its unfair to the ladies if they cannot reach a length, where is the fun winning because of that?

In April my club runs a Gala with a few nice prizes. But men always win and the ladies don't have a chance on the full length. We even have men unwilling to "play fair" and set shorter jack lengths to make the game more competitive for the ladies in the club. I no longer enter this comp at my own club, because they will not compromise and many ladies only play mid-season when it's warmer and the greens are quicker. Don't you ever have this in your experience then John?
    Of course i have experienced it,far more common these days,due i believe due to lack of correct preparation during the non. Playing season,so istopped playing outdoors some time, ago i have noproblem with club play having restricted jack length,but cannot believe a league would allow it.My club had a full time greenkeeper, so a slow green was never an issue.usually ran at 13secs opening day, too much water used during the season as well making greens look like front lawns, it is sufficient to water stressed areas. Some clubs i found turned the water on the minute a match finished. Many will remember the greens at Worthing they never saw much water and were good and fast to bowl on.Sometimes mid season you walk out on a green and your feet sink in feels good bowls rubbish,i can here someone saying you do not play outdoos anymore correct but i am in demand as a marker.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/5
    Given: 10/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Of course i have experienced it,far more common these days,due i believe due to lack of correct preparation during the non. Playing season,so istopped playing outdoors some time, ago i have noproblem with club play having restricted jack length,but cannot believe a league would allow it.My club had a full time greenkeeper, so a slow green was never an issue.usually ran at 13secs opening day, too much water used during the season as well making greens look like front lawns, it is sufficient to water stressed areas. Some clubs i found turned the water on the minute a match finished. Many will remember the greens at Worthing they never saw much water and were good and fast to bowl on.Sometimes mid season you walk out on a green and your feet sink in feels good bowls rubbish,i can here someone saying you do not play outdoos anymore correct but i am in demand as a marker.
    Ran at 13 sec on Opening day in the UK - when did you open June or July ? ��
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018
    Glasgow Bowling Association (GBA) President 2018

Any views stated on here are my personal views and do not represent the views of any association I am a member of

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby Glesga Umpire View Post
    Ran at 13 sec on Opening day in the UK - when did you open June or July ? ��
    April 24th
    No Grey Areas