Thread: anxiety control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1
    Given: 0/0

Default anxiety control

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    how can new bowlers deal with and overcome the anxiety of starting a new sport?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 62/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Sillis View Post
    how can new bowlers deal with and overcome the anxiety of starting a new sport?
    One of the problems is because there is a shortage of new members, they tend to get involved in teams out of there depth,i have always tried to protect my new members steer them towards groups they will feel comfortable with,arrange games for them with players maybe slightly more advanced,whatever, they are aware i am available to assist if things are not working out,it is difficult to address there problems if they are starting to get ingrained,Pressure is the greatest enemy of a new bowler,and is to be avoided if there confidence is to improve,I sometimes run a drive for instance for players with no more than 2seasons experience. The anxiety often occurs because new bowlers often havethe idea everyone in the club is a good bowler,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/3
    Given: 0/1

True, but things like pressure can be positive in the right instances for some people. I was asked to join the club's League team quite early after taking up the game (as I had suspected at the time, I later found out that it was to make up numbers as we are a small club); at first I struggled, finding the level higher than the internal club 'newbie' games/friendlies that I had been taking part in , but, not wanting to let the team/club down, practised more frequently than I might otherwise and soon improved sufficiently as not to feel out of place. John's right, 'though - that sort of thing needs managing if a new player isn't to get discouraged.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 23/3
    Given: 79/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ........having a healthy amount of sex. I find it always works to bring anxiety levels down.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/3
    Given: 0/1

That sounds like politicians saying 'fair share of tax' : yet no-one is ever prepared to say what that actually is - and it always seems to go up 'just a little bit more'! A movable feast, in each case.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

Practice and going in the deep end. I've been playing now 5 years and thought I'd let people down fi I played bad. As one of the above post correctly put, you think everyone is good, as you're so bad at the start. Within weeks you're playing ok, practice is your friend early on, I still practice with jacks only (as I lead) and setting up heads with old club bowls to draw around. Try to stick to a set up and stick with its later on this will help calm you down when on the mat.My wife is just starting to play County, nerves are normal. I gave he 5 tips, told hold it all together. 1/ Always put the mat in the same position. 2/ Stand on the mat in the same position all the time, feet pointing towards the draw line. 3/ Bend, step and stay down. 4/ Follow through 5/ Watch the bowls line of travel. This I call my set up, when nervous I revert to it and it helps me concentrate. best wishes.