Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anxiety control

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 61/16
    Given: 2/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    Again John you have mis-understood my reply. It must be me, or we are not on the same wave-length. By keeping the mat in the same position I mean in the middle of the spots, and stand in the same place on the mat with your feet. Yes, clearly move the mat if the skip wants you too, shorter or longer jacks. But the mat stays in the middle of the spots, and your feet are placed in the same position on the mat all the time. Hope that clear is up for you John?
    Sorry still find it strangeyou want the mat in the middle ofthe spots, what happens when you go away and they do not have spots,and also when you do not have the mat.as for always standing on the mat inthe same position, that is a very negative outlook, the mat is one of the only assets you have out there,so use the width of it to give you a different line when needed( that is one of the exercises we practice with improvers) You were right we were not on the same wavelength, but if itold someone i always put the mat in the same position, i cannot imagine they would assume it meant between 2spots, I am not sure what you do when the skip says put the mat on the T ,but to each his own,if it works for you do it
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/5
    Given: 22/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Anxiety is unfortunately something I've had for the last 11 years or so (Agoraphobia) so understand it definitely. The best way i've found to improve this is to become focused on what im doing. Forget whats around you (to a certain degree of course) and focus on each delivery, each wood and each line.

Also as others have said, get yourself stuck in and jump in the deep end. Practice a certain delivery too and make sure you stick to it when you play in a game, this just helps to give you a bit of confidence when things get a bit hectic so to speak.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

John.

Yes, you right, you really don't understand what I'm saying. I don't put the mat between the spots always, I put the mat inline with the number on the rink, centred so inline with the spots. (so when your on the mat it's middle is on the centre line to the T. That way when I aim i'm always looking down the same line, my feet help as they are always in that same line too. If you don't understand it now then I'll stop, as I don't want to fall out. While I've only played at maybe 30 different clubs, all have spots? And again I've never bowled any place without a mat??

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 61/16
    Given: 2/2

There is no other place to put the mat except on the centre line.
    No Grey Areas