Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowls in Australia?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Bowls in Australia?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thought, why do the Australians use such narrow bait bowls do you think? Just watching some games on You-Tube and the line is very narrow compared to our bowls? Is it the ultra fast greens? Yet at Potters our pro's go for very heavy biased woods, like the Tiger? Just interested, not an argument about bowls bias. Rich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/5
    Given: 22/0

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    Thought, why do the Australians use such narrow bait bowls do you think? Just watching some games on You-Tube and the line is very narrow compared to our bowls? Is it the ultra fast greens? Yet at Potters our pro's go for very heavy biased woods, like the Tiger? Just interested, not an argument about bowls bias. Rich.
    From what I've seen the Southern Hemisphere bowls tactics are pretty aggressive (see lots of drives etc) and that combined with the ultra fast greens would probably be the reason why a lot use narrow biased woods.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/2
    Given: 15/0

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread. I think you're right about the contrast between the matches are played on YouTube down under cf Potters.

I've been watching the World Bowls Tour coverage of the early rounds of the pairs and singles which had co-commentary by Dale McWhinney (Aus U25). I think he said that the Aus entry in the Open Singles was bringing his Almark Edges. If I didn't dream it, it'll be an interesting experiment because it ought to bring different tactics to the match.

The portable rink seems quicker and wider this year. Even the top 16 have abandoned the max bias bowls in favour of something inside ( eg Evo or Pro instead of Tiger, DPP instead of XP, Ace instead of International ). Getting to the re-spot has required flirting with the side ditch: good as he is, I'm not sure Jamie Chestney has managed to hold a line to a re-spotted jack.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 61/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Rink size

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHares View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread. I think you're right about the contrast between the matches are played on YouTube down under cf Potters.

I've been watching the World Bowls Tour coverage of the early rounds of the pairs and singles which had co-commentary by Dale McWhinney (Aus U25). I think he said that the Aus entry in the Open Singles was bringing his Almark Edges. If I didn't dream it, it'll be an interesting experiment because it ought to bring different tactics to the match.

The portable rink seems quicker and wider this year. Even the top 16 have abandoned the max bias bowls in favour of something inside ( eg Evo or Pro instead of Tiger, DPP instead of XP, Ace instead of International ). Getting to the re-spot has required flirting with the side ditch: good as he is, I'm not sure Jamie Chestney has managed to hold a line to a re-spotted jack.
    Very much doubt it is any wider,cannot think of any logical reason for it to be any quicker,varies sometimes by 1/2 a second over 27 metres, will tell you after today going for 4days. Getting to the respot depends how far the mat is up.Most clubs have a max jack length of 32 metres. At potters it is 29.5 so on max length they are going to be near the side anyway.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Very much doubt it is any wider,cannot think of any logical reason for it to be any quicker,varies sometimes by 1/2 a second over 27 metres, will tell you after today going for 4days. Getting to the respot depends how far the mat is up.Most clubs have a max jack length of 32 metres. At potters it is 29.5 so on max length they are going to be near the side anyway.
    I've watched just about all the matches so far.

Depending on the time of day, speed has been reported as 18 to 20 seconds.

I went to the trouble of trying to find an example of Jamie Chestney drawing to a re-spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LWNabxYrGs

09:00 to 09:18

I think he was playing with Evos

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Speed

I went to the trouble of trying to find an example of Jamie Chestney drawing to a re-spot:

I will take the variation of 2secs to be a bit of a guesstomate,however if Chestney was unable to bowl to the respot then he for an experienced player is using the wrong bowl for the rink?I wonder how they timed the rink and when?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

At potters today never saw a bowl travelquicker that 18 secs over 27metres, the rinkis the same width asit always has been very dificult to change it too
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Agreed with the comment that the portable looks wider than the average rink? But not knowing the width, it's just speculation on my behalf.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3

I was 'fooled' by that last year, after buying a set of older Aces's for the occasional indoor use, only to be told here that the rink was wider/shorter and that older Ace's had a naturally wider draw than current Ace's being made!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHares
    At potters today never saw a bowl travelquicker that 18 secs over 27metres, the rinkis the same width asit always has been very dificult to change it too
    My OP was poorly worded: I meant that the bowls were running wider, not that the rink itself had grown.

I've not seen any of the top 16 play with the strongest bias bowl models (ie Tiger, International, XP). The video link was to demonstrate the Tiger Evo pretty much at the limit of the side ditch yet still inside the line at the re-spot.