Thread: Pre match etiquette

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 2/0

Default Pre match etiquette

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    To John Haydock - John, in your long experience, do you consider that there should be an on green welcome to the visiting team prior to the commencement of the game and that all rinks should more or less start playing at the same time after personal introductions? I would consider this to be essential etiquette but I have noticed it being disrgarded on occasion.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 62/17
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by drofgum View Post
    To John Haydock - John, in your long experience, do you consider that there should be an on green welcome to the visiting team prior to the commencement of the game and that all rinks should more or less start playing at the same time after personal introductions? I would consider this to be essential etiquette but I have noticed it being disrgarded on occasion.
    Yes just another decline in accepted standards, We still do this at my club, but many do not.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 2/0

When we play our side games in the local league (4 rinks) we always do this, so there's a welcome to our visitors and then toss for the jack. How else would you do it for a side league match?

Thumbs Up/Down

[QUOTE=iainn;1650584]When we play our side games in the local league (4 rinks) we always do this, so there's a welcome to our visitors and then toss for the jack. How else would you do it for a side league match?[/,
    Unfortunately all they do is place the cards on top of each other toss a coin and play.Etiquette is dying out everyone just wants to get away as quickly as possible at the end of the match. Just lately clubs have been suggesting that in the county league we have no trial ends and only one shot on the first 2ends.and reduce the game to 18 ends.Nothing like getting together after the match with old friends and chatting About the past afraid it has all gone sadly,but there are still a few of us left ,we will get to the stage whenwe toss a coin to decide the result,and all go home, sorry must me wishin* things did not change
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2
    Given: 9/0

[QUOTE=john haydock;1650588]
    Quote Originally Posted by iainn View Post
    When we play our side games in the local league (4 rinks) we always do this, so there's a welcome to our visitors and then toss for the jack. How else would you do it for a side league match?[/,
    Unfortunately all they do is place the cards on top of each other toss a coin and play.Etiquette is dying out everyone just wants to get away as quickly as possible at the end of the match. Just lately clubs have been suggesting that in the county league we have no trial ends and only one shot on the first 2ends.and reduce the game to 18 ends.Nothing like getting together after the match with old friends and chatting About the past afraid it has all gone sadly,but there are still a few of us left ,we will get to the stage whenwe toss a coin to decide the result,and all go home, sorry must me wishin* things did not change
    With you all the way on this John - but is this type of view not cited as being one of the reasons why the number of bowlers is declining year-on-year? There has to be some middle ground which will suit both sides - but what that is is the $64,000 question!
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/3
    Given: 0/1

Society, and the views held by the majority, changes over time (and the pace of change is far swifter now); if we try to hang on to older ways without any change it risks a quantum shift at some later point as the older/more-entrenched people reduce in number and which would be far more painful to accept/adapt to.

Although still a relatively new bowler, I've never yet had a situation where a team does not want to stay for a drink etc after a match - although, occasionally, an odd player or two will need to get away promptly. That said, the overwhelming majority of players are 'older'.

Moving to bowls from golf (and having played at a golf club nearly an hour's drive away) I still find it a relative 'quick' sport by comparison, even when playing away (sometimes, especially so: a large team in golf can take a long time to get onto the tee and come in - at least in bowls you are starting at the same time) . However, all things are relative, and today's younger folk may not see things like that.

As you say, how to find an acceptable degree/rate of change is the question - perhaps a matter for discussion at your next club AGM or the like. Listen to what others feel is too formal etc - start small, and make gradual changes.

Thumbs Up/Down

[QUOTE=1940mike;1650590]
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post

With you all the way on this John - but is this type of view not cited as being one of the reasons why the number of bowlers is declining year-on-year? There has to be some middle ground which will suit both sides - but what that is is the $64,000 question!
    I dont have the answer, but i do know we are not getting enough new bowlers into the game,and that has nothing to do with ettiquette, laws, dress,It is to do with alternatives.I was involved with commercial squash in the boom, and then the decline arrived, clubs added gyms, yoga classes, weightlifting etc. Leisure centres improved,technology, play stations ,game boys, all combine to add to the competition for members.The outdoor game is declining, partly because more indoor clubs are operating all year (in my club i had 70 playing in 2 leagues last Summer) Quality of outdoor greens has a lot to answer for, The Season is all over very Early to fit in with National ,County and Club finals.Clubs have to do more themselves as well.It is no good placing a notice on your own board about a new course for beginners, I approached Adult education Organisation, they run courses in Tennis, Badminton etc. Not interested, to me that is disgraceful. Is the cost of the game an issue,i dont think so.Do the older members actually want younger players who may take there places in County Leagues etc.We all know that some of those teams are reluctant to always select fairly because you must not upset “Fred” he has been in the team for years? I am sure many clubs have a situation where the better players are all in the same teams,thats normal. So why not try 1league whereplayers are allocated(i can hear you saying they will not join in) Never mind you will create a league which will not end up with the same teams being hammered every week(they may well be the players we are not replacing)And new members will join in.But you still have to get them through the door,Why not try a new bowlers course in the Summer indoors ,the response may surprise you.Do you have a members rep who takes suggestions to committee, I am finished and i know i have not solved the problem, but some of my ideas may also help to keep the existing membership, and replace the ones who leave
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Many good points, John, although I'm not sure that "that has nothing to do with ettiquette, laws, dress,It is to do with alternatives"

The 'alternatives' point is quite true - but when people have a choice, they have to decide what elements suit them best, and if something puts them off (whatever it is, and for whatever reason - even heresay comments) that is likely to eliminate that particular choice from the outset, without potential players even trying that activity. If a sport is eliminated from a potential player's shortlist from the outset, the other aspects of attracting/keeping them are pretty much irrelevant.

The outdoor game has its own potential problems as you mention - but it also has (for me) the strong attraction of actually being outdoors: fresh air, views etc - these are important to me as compared to a fairly sterile indoor atmosphere. Not for everyone 'though, I quite accept.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Many good points, John, although I'm not sure that "that has nothing to do with ettiquette, laws, dress,It is to do with alternatives"

The 'alternatives' point is quite true - but when people have a choice, they have to decide what elements suit them best, and if something puts them off (whatever it is, and for whatever reason - even heresay comments) that is likely to eliminate that particular choice from the outset, without potential players even trying that activity. If a sport is eliminated from a potential player's shortlist from the outset, the other aspects of attracting/keeping them are pretty much irrelevant.

The outdoor game has its own potential problems as you mention - but it also has (for me) the strong attraction of actually being outdoors: fresh air, views etc - these are important to me as compared to a fairly sterile indoor atmosphere. Not for everyone 'though, I quite accept.
    Eliminate that particular choice from the outset, You cannot suggest that only applies to bowls clubs. That applies to all clubs Golf.Tennis, Bridge, etc. The other point which i failed to mention is far more people live closer to an outdoor club than indoor,but the numbers are still declining(another issue)
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

No, of course it applies to all sports/clubs (and other activities that compete for time). I'm just suggesting that if you don't eliminate/minimise possible perception problems, you stand a lesser chance of getting someone through the door.

You're quite right about the proximity issue - although, conversely we have a 3 members who travel 10+ miles (one c.20) to come to us (although that's mainly down to them having lived closer some years ago). There are undoubteldy many reasons for that - but self-promotion must be one: before I took up bowls, I had no idea that clubs existed in many of the towns/villages I knew quite well - they are often hidden away.