Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong Bias Podcast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 18/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks Allan, I didn't add the bit about distraction as John had mentioned it in his post and that might have been the error he referred to? It did seem to be a strange decision by the players, sounds like one of the Skips was looking for an advantage perhaps?
    "It'll do a trip"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 93/74
    Given: 96/8

I am guilty of being a Pedant on the issue of the old Foot Fault, but here's an observation challenge for all of you, we see online these days many Live Streams, you will see online at any time the UBC streams or the failing (IMHO) BPL Stream, and often in these they actually often show side on views of the player driving, sometimes even just playing a runner and you think they may well be off, well if you watch replayed versions, often you can stop the video, and when you do your suspicions will perhaps be confirmed.

With those who have been selected for the Com Games in your neck of the woods soon, I bet none though are stopped, warned or whatever, so when we have a law which is never really enforced, why do we even have it?

Players at the highest level are virtual Professionals these days, don't tell me they do not know the laws, so in their case especially, why Must we give them a Warning, does a Cricket Ump give a warning for a No Ball?

Either Enforce the law or Change It, stop sticking the Umpires heads in the sand all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 62/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Thanks Allan, I didn't add the bit about distraction as John had mentioned it in his post and that might have been the error he referred to? It did seem to be a strange decision by the players, sounds like one of the Skips was looking for an advantage perhaps?
    Strange as that is what you asked me what was the error,It is not unusual to want to play the end in the same direction. We also have a condition of play which requires it to be played in the opposite direction,for the very reason not to cause disturbance to adjacent rinks(under normal conditions)
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 38/4
    Given: 13/7

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHares View Post

I've noticed there are fewer qualified umpires for the big club matches. Our club will have an honest official/manager/reserve available to use the Umpire's kit in the event that the 3s cannot decide shot.

GH
    This is a problem that I have noticed over the last three years in the South East of England when my club has been playing EIBA Indoor National inter club competitions like the Yetton and Vivienne etc.

Often when the players from my club go to play away there is no umpire on site. Normally the opposition team has not even requested one whereas for my clubís team playing at home I always arrange for an Umpire to be present.

Recently our ladies played away in another county and they were told by the home side that if we need an Umpire we will get one of the men from the club roll up to come over and measure.
    After a game the other month with no Umpire in a different county and the next round being in the same county I requested of the EBUA that an Umpire be provided. Well the home club were not happy when a qualified Umpire who was a member of their club appeared.

I know in Surrey that many National team competition games go ahead without an Umpire because the home club have made no attempt to request one. I can state this categorically because I am the EBUA County Cordinator and I have not had a request to provide an Umpire.

As the good lord told Moses if you donít ask you donít get!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2
    Given: 9/0

GH - there was an umpire at the Over 60s mens inter-county match.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/2
    Given: 15/0

Quote Originally Posted by astolat View Post
    This is a problem that I have noticed over the last three years in the South East of England when my club has been playing EIBA Indoor National inter club competitions like the Yetton and Vivienne etc.

Often when the players from my club go to play away there is no umpire on site. Normally the opposition team has not even requested one whereas for my club’s team playing at home I always arrange for an Umpire to be present.

Recently our ladies played away in another county and they were told by the home side that if we need an Umpire we will get one of the men from the club roll up to come over and measure.
    After a game the other month with no Umpire in a different county and the next round being in the same county I requested of the EBUA that an Umpire be provided. Well the home club were not happy when a qualified Umpire who was a member of their club appeared.

I know in Surrey that many National team competition games go ahead without an Umpire because the home club have made no attempt to request one. I can state this categorically because I am the EBUA County Cordinator and I have not had a request to provide an Umpire.

As the good lord told Moses if you don’t ask you don’t get!!
    This is what I meant: Denny, Egham, Top Club where we have hosted have all been played without a qualified umpire (I think). I tend to play in the "away" team and do appreciate the presence of a "blue shirt".

Our club has gone from 3 members who were qualified umpires (2 men, 1 lady) to only one. I'm not sure how many have been on a marker's course but expect that it's not many.

I hope the podcast reaches a wide audience and encourages people to consider umpiring as an important aspect of participation in our sport.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/2
    Given: 15/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1940mike View Post
    GH - there was an umpire at the Over 60s mens inter-county match.
    Indeed and it is a privilege playing in this type of match where the conditions for matches are set properly.