Thread: Removing bowl with chalk left on

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 1/1

Default Removing bowl with chalk left on

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Today I inadvertently bowled a bowl without completely removing the chalk from the previous end. I mentioned to the marker as the bowl was still running that there was chalk left on. At the completion of the end the marker told me that my bowl should have been removed from the rink as it was bowled with chalk on. Is this correct? I canít see anything in the laws about this but is this common practice?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/3
    Given: 0/1

The issue is covered in CM3, see laws 15.5 and 15.6:

"15.5 If a player fails to remove a mark from a bowl before delivery and that bowl does not become a toucher, a member of the opposing team or the marker must remove the mark as soon as the bowl comes to rest.

15.6 If, in the opinion of either skip or opponent or the marker, a wrongly marked bowl comes to rest in such a position that removing the mark would be likely to move the bowl or alter the head, the mark must not be removed and the bowl must instead be nominated as a non-toucher "

So, under CM3, unless 15.6 applied, or your bowl was a toucher in its own right, either a member of your team (if any) or, failing that, your marker, should have stepped in to remove the earlier mark and rectify your error, especially if you had told him of the matter.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 62/17
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Manxmano View Post
    Today I inadvertently bowled a bowl without completely removing the chalk from the previous end. I mentioned to the marker as the bowl was still running that there was chalk left on. At the completion of the end the marker told me that my bowl should have been removed from the rink as it was bowled with chalk on. Is this correct? I canít see anything in the laws about this but is this common practice?
    I have had this many times in the past,i am not sure where these stupid ideas come from.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 81/0

Surprising how many people think this and refuse to countenance any query that you make. Simple, remove the mark not the bowl. Like most other things in life, people assume the answer to life's questions lie in one's head and whatever you believe is bound to be the correct answer. I have a rule book with me in my bowls bag and just ask them to point the rule out, which stops most of this nonsense.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 22/1

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    I have had this many times in the past,i am not sure where these stupid ideas come from.
    Unfortunately the sport has had three editions of the Chrystal Mark (now the 3.1), two editions of WIBC Indoor, Federation and Crown Green to name a few rule books. The rules for these variations and revisions of the sport can be confusing but sometimes you will come up against someone who steadfastly sticks to the 'this is how it's always been' rule book
    "It'll do a trip"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/4
    Given: 13/7

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Unfortunately the sport has had three editions of the Chrystal Mark (now the 3.1), two editions of WIBC Indoor, Federation and Crown Green to name a few rule books. The rules for these variations and revisions of the sport can be confusing but sometimes you will come up against someone who steadfastly sticks to the 'this is how it's always been' rule book
    CORRECTION

The Sport of Flat Green Lawn Bowls has only one set of Laws.
    They are currently ( 11th March 2020 ) The World Bowls Laws of the Sport Crystal Mark Edition 3.1.
    The WIBC Laws no longer apply anywhere in the World.
    CM 3.1 applies to all flat green bowls anywhere in the World and played outdoor on grass, outdoor on a synthetic surface or indoor.

Yes there are different Laws for Crown Green, Short Mat, Carpet Bowls and Federation Indoors and Outdoors but there is only ONE set of Laws throughout the World for the majority of the Sport which is played on a level surface.

Please do not think that I am trying to belittle the other four codes, to each his own, and they all have their place in life, but CM 3.1 is the only set of Laws which apply to the majority of games played throughout the World.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by astolat View Post
    CORRECTION

The Sport of Flat Green Lawn Bowls has only one set of Laws.
    Did you actually read my post?
    "It'll do a trip"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/4
    Given: 13/7

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Did you actually read my post?
    YES.
    The earlier two CM Laws are replaced by 3.1. When most things are replaced by a new edition the earlier editions are redundant.
    WIBC Laws were scrapped at least two years ago!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/3
    Given: 0/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Precisely which set of laws currently apply tends to pale into insignificance if many participants in a sport never read any of them and base their understanding on word of mouth - probably from those who haven't read them, or aren't up-to-date anyway!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by astolat View Post
    YES.
    NO you didn't, re-read it and pay attention to the three word in the first sentence, "the sport has had" past tense. It was a history lesson to try and explain why some bowlers quote out of date Laws or Laws from different codes which have crossed the boundary.
    "It'll do a trip"