Thread: Corona and green maintenance

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Given: 2/0

Default Corona and green maintenance

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi All

has any one heard anything official about working on the green ?

I see the ECB ( cricket ) and the Golf sector have released the ok with guidelines on working practices , but I can not find anything on the EBA or EBF sites.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 31/3
    Given: 0/1

For those who haven't seen the Golf advice, here's a link to an article in Greenkeeping magazine summarising various outputs:

http://www.greenkeepingeu.com/scotti...l-attend-work/

Still fairly generic, but it does mention the need to restrict such work to "essential maintenance"

The latest specific advice I've seen for Bowls is from Bowls England (March 23rd):

"Should we continue to maintain our clubs and greens?Bowls England intends to provide advice to clubs on the minimum maintenance that is required to maintain greens so they are playable when we resume bowling. We advise that you ensure your clubs and bowling greens are available when it is deemed safe to resume.

see: https://www.bowlsengland.com/coronav...ked-questions/

I'm not aware of anything further on 'minimum maintenance' (ie presumably that which would comply with being 'essential' and so permitted work) : if anyone has, no doubt they can let us all know.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/17
    Given: 2/2

I understand the maintainance required to ensure the greens are in good condition for when bowls starts is allowed.will find the reference pretty sure it came from BE. Advice is available from greens@bowlsengland.com
    Last edited by john haydock; 27-03-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1

Thank you both for your replies, so still no official statements from the EBA or EBF.

I do understand that this is some serious problem, but some small clubs are looking for answers when really they should be in a safe haven of the home.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/17
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by two cuts View Post
    Thank you both for your replies, so still no official statements from the EBA or EBF.

I do understand that this is some serious problem, but some small clubs are looking for answers when really they should be in a safe haven of the home.
    E.B.A that is now BE
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 31/3
    Given: 0/1

The R&A (& BIGGA - the British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association) have issued some specific advice on what they consider to be 'essential maintenance' in terms of a golf course. This is not direct government advice and is sport-specific.

https://www.bigga.org.uk/uploads/ass...Estatment1.pdf

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/9
    Given: 13/7

Walked past my local bowls club this morning whilst having my Boris approved exercise. The council owned and maintained green looked first rate. It had been mowed on the diagonal and a guy had just completed spraying something on the green.
    A warm morning with not a cloud in the sky. Nearly got my bowls out for a roll up.
    There were at least four local borough council Parks and Recreation gardeners on site. [ large park with two football, one cricket square, six tennis courts, six rink bowls green, large children’s play area and plenty of room for dog walkers. ]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 3/0

Interim bowls maintenance guide now on IOG website

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/9
    Given: 13/7

Statement posted yesterday on Bowls England Web Site.

Statement: Greens Maintenance – Interim Works and Fit For Play

3rd April, 2020 by Matt Wordingham Bowls England is aware that the provision of a quality playing surface is vital for our sport.
    We have been working in conjunction with the Institute of Groundsmanship (IoG) over the last week to produce guidance for our member clubs regarding ongoing maintenance and what essential work may be carried out in order to provide a fit for play surface when sport resumes.
    A copy of our guidance is available here.

This links to the IOG statement at https://www.bowlsengland.com/wp-cont...april_2020.pdf

In addition, the Sport & Recreation Alliance (SRA), which represents a number of national bodies including Bowls England, sought clarification on behalf of all sports as to whether grounds maintenance work is classified as essential during a meeting with the Sports Minister and other sector stakeholders on Thursday 2nd April. The SRA was informed that as long as social distancing regulations are adhered to and due regard for health and safety is followed, work that is essential to that space and cannot be done at home is considered to be acceptable.
    You are reminded that whilst essential work on greens is therefore currently permitted, the latest Government guidance must be followed at all times.
    USEFUL WEBSITES:
    IoG – Coronavirus (Covid-19) General Guidance
    https://www.iog.org/covid-19-0
    IoG – Guidance on interim works for your sports turf
    https://www.iog.org/guidance-interim...ur-sports-turf
    Sport & Recreation Alliance – Business Support
    https://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk/news/politics/covid-19-business-support-measures-faqs

World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

Bowls England sent out advice to all clubs check their site