Thread: Evergreen Complete 4 in 1

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Evergreen Complete 4 in 1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi, being new to this forum and also learning how to look after a bowling green I have a question.
    I realize there is a wealth of experience out there so I am just looking for an answer to a simple question. I have been given a few bags of Evergreen Complete 4 in 1 (enough to do the whole green) and was wondering if it is a good idea to use this on a bowling green. I don't know if this will create problems because I have not heard of anyone else applying it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 3/0

Hi johneblue.

Welcome to the forum.
    What appears to be a straightforward simple question actually isn't really that simple to answer.
    Does the green have weeds and moss present? If not and all you require is a feed, personally I'd get the club to pay for a professional granular fertiliser. Have you had a soil analysis carried out to determine exactly what your soil requires rather than just throwing on whatever is in the bag.
    This type of product would not be most greenkeepers go to of choice as it really is intended for domestic garden lawns, however, we are in extraordinary times and if budgets are tight with clubs being closed and you have been given this and its all you have then by all means it could probably be applied to the green as an emergency stop gap measure on this occasion. However, due to the inclusion of the chemicals MCPA and Mecoprop-P within the product, and to be legal and safe to apply to a bowls green you will need to have undertaken pesticide training and hold certificates PA1 and PA6A. If you don't hold these and you intend to maintain a bowls green then get your club to send you on a course. The alternative is for the club to pay a qualified person/contractor to apply.
    I'd recommend you speak to your county greens advisor for some advise and information.
    Last edited by overthehillandfaraway; 02-05-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Hi overthehillandfaraway, thanks for your reply to my question. Overall, our green is in fairly good condition - there are not too many weeds on it and no sign of any disease showing anywhere. The only problem I had over the winter was a fair showing of moss which I treated with ferromex. This has have blackened it off but because of the equipment I have it was difficult to rake it all out. Therefore there are small patches of blacked moss showing around the green. It has been reseeded and the new seed is showing signs of growing through these small dead mossy areas.
    We had 2 soil samples taken at the end of the last season and both gave figures within the guidelines.
    As far as putting pesticides or any other treatment on our green we have a member who has all the licences and certifications necessary as he works in the landscaping industry - he does any spraying or spreading that I am not legally entitled too. Although I am slightly confused that I can apply this product at home without any certificate .
    The question I was asking was purely because I have been offered enough of this product to do the green and as it was a freebie was just wondering if it is usable. Reason being I don't know why greenkeepers have never spoken about using it or given any reason why they don't.
    Because of the doubt I now have I will go out and buy some "professional" product to be on the safe side.
    Thanks for your input -I am learning everyday.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 3/0

Its a domestic product because its intended use is by you at your property on your lawn. Once you apply to sports playing surfaces, public or private, its no longer classified as domestic and becomes commercial and then becomes subject to the relevant pesticide and COSHH regulations.

Sounds like you just need a fine turf spring and summer fertiliser. As I previously mentioned speak to your BE County greens advisor for advice and guidance .It's a free service. Assuming you're in England your county or BE can give you the contact details. Good luck