Thread: Make your own green

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Make your own green

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hi there all I badly need some advice! I made a small putting green at the bottom of my garden but it not like the real thing so Id like to make it real
    . Under the fake green I have 3 inches of grano dust and under that 4 inches of type one mot .
    So it drains well but have no idea where to start with the real thing Would appreciate some advice or any videos I could watch many thanks Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Given: 2/0

I should put aside the building of it, how are you going to maintain it, what kit do you have at your disposal? a mower is my first thought.

Thumbs Up/Down

Its fake at the moment Im looking to make it real

Thumbs Up/Down

Sorry absolutely nothing but Im willing to spend on the requirements in order to maintain it

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/3
    Given: 0/1

It's likely to be a lot of work for a small 'green' - both construction and maintenance - and is unlikely to be of similar pace etc to the greens at your club at the end of the day. Google 'how to lay a putting green' and you will find a lot of advice, both in writing and videos. This one looks to be quite detailed:

http://www.ukputtinggreens.co.uk/diy.php

That said, I have known two people who did it , putting in the time and effort, and then using it assiduously to improve their putting . They were however larger and more complex 'facilities' than the 'fake' in your photo, and I suspect it was the ability to play from all angles over (deliberately) undulating ground that made much of the difference - that, plus they were large enough for chipping practice as well as many lengths of putts, at which they became quite good.