Thread: BE Advice, 2 per rink

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 1/0

Default BE Advice, 2 per rink

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As of recently, bowls England have published advice on getting back to bowling, here:
    https://www.bowlsengland.com/coronavirus-guidance/
    One of the things is that, on a typical green, with 6 rinks, alternate rinks are not to be used, and of the remaining rinks only 2 players per rink, maintaining social distancing etc etc.
    Its the 2 players per rink thing I don't quite get.
    If there were 4 players on the rink (pairs) 2 would be at one end and 2 would be at the other. If a one-way system was used when changing ends, e.g. always walk up on the left, observing social distancing advice then having 4 players on the rink is perfectly workable. when the players pass each other there would be >2m between them.

In fact, you could apply this logic to all 6 rinks, whilst easily maintaining social distancing etc within the same rink and to the rinks either side.

Maybe BE have thought of this and are breaking us in slowly, who knows.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/3
    Given: 0/1

The 'distancing' requirement could certainly be made to work - I believe that it's the current, and separate, prohibition against 'gatherings' of greater than 2 that causes the problem, which is not a BE provision. As things stand it would be hard to argue that the 2 pairs were not 'gathered together' as they clearly came to play together, so unless all were from the same household, that 'rule' is not met. It would seem to be the same argument that prevents having a marker for a singles match.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 1/0

Good point, I suppose that depends on how you define gathering and how close people have to be to be considered to be part of a gathering (I dont think this is defined anywhere)
    e.g. take the small crowds of people all equally spaced 2m+ apart clapping for carers on a Thursday night, is that not a gathering?

Thumbs Up/Down

A gathering is meant to be people getting together for something specific - a pairs at bowls clearly comes within this, as they are in the same place (green and specifically rink) at the same time to play against each other - they have 'come together' for a common and inter-active (even if non-contact and properly distanced) purpose' : the clapping is different, as people may be in the same rough area and doing the same thing at the same time, but there is no intention of doing it as a 'group' other than in the loosest of senses.

I would think that bowls pairs is also a bit different, in that whilst the distancing rules can in theory be adhered to, in practice they wouldn't be, even with the best of intentions at the outset.

Thumbs Up/Down

This afternoon's announcement about further relaxations in England are likely to have an effect - groups of up to 6 are (from Monday, I think) to be able to meet outdoors (incl. gardens), providing they keep to the distancing rules. No doubt BE and clubs will issue their own changes to the rules that they have put in place to date, but this would seem to potentially allow pairs and triples, and markers for singles matches.

Thumbs Up/Down

BE have not yet adjusted their advice to clubs - citing the lack of change to the specific government guidance (dating to before the latest government announcement), and that they are seeking 'clarification':

https://www.bowlsengland.com/covid-1...turn-to-sport/

Meanwhile, England Golf have announced that 3- & 4 -ball play (incl. competitions) can restart from 1 June, subject to distancing etc rules:

https://www.englandgolf.org/three-an...play-to-re-com

Both announcements dated 29 May.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 29/3
    Given: 93/0

Interesting news just announced - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52862637 It seems that the lock-down is going to be very swiftly relaxed. Talk of reducing the 2m rule as well. Not supported by scientists. Do we trust politicians or scientists? I'll be trusting the scientists, so I am hoping that Bowls England don't follow suit and open everything up straight away. Gradual relaxing of the rules and tightening up in areas when problems show. The infection rate is still very high at the moment.