Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amendments to Laws of the Sport 2020

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 96/74
    Given: 100/8

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
    Just to make sure we're all on the same page, what is everyone's ruling on on the red & white bowl?
    Attachment 5892

I say its dead but of course no one will agree, so I will tell you why.

the red n white has entered the ditch, look at the distance between the live bowl against the wall and the front of the ditch, so the red n white has travelled into the ditch some 3 inches before making contact with the live bowl (toucher) so the dead bowl has suddenly come back to life?

if the red n white were to simply hit, then dislodge the toucher, then fall into the ditch, it is removed and the toucher replaced of course, I for the life of me cannot see how a bowl that travells 3 inches in dead space can suddenly be brought back to life. (But I am sure all the experts will tell me how it is done)
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2
    Given: 9/0

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, what is everyone's ruling on on the red & white bowl?
    Attachment 5892
    Live if a toucher - dead if it isn't.
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/3
    Given: 0/1

But, does 16.1.3 apply in any meaningful way as regards the red-and-white bowl in the image? We haven't been told how it got in that position, but it would seem, it is taken as the 'non-toucher' for the purpose of the phrase "as long as part of the non-toucher is still on the rink when it comes to rest after it has moved the toucher" in 16.1.3. However, rule 16.1 itself does not seem to affect the treatment of that bowl - just the toucher (here, presumably the blue bowl).

[written in response to a post citing 16.1.3 which now appears to have been entirely excised]
    Last edited by corptaxman; 09-06-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2
    Given: 9/0

Attachment 5892
    Umpy - PLEASE let us know!
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 18/0
    Given: 2/0

Isn't it still live because it is in contact with the (horizontal) surface of the rink?
    Thirty years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/3
    Given: 0/1

Do we not need to know precisely how the red and white wood ended up where it did to be able to 'solve' this? From what was originally said, I assume that it was not a toucher and did not move entirely off the the rink (ie just slipped over and came to rest where it did without entirely leaving contact with the rink) - but this could be wrong. I'm thinking here of something like 17.1.2 which might come into play to treat it as a dead bowl if it had entirely left the rink at some point, but ended up where it did.