Thread: New Covid indoor rules

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default New Covid indoor rules

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Anyone like me shocked to see the advice for indoor bowls just issued by the association?
    Eight people per rink allowed.
    we are still using alternate rinks outside and only playing triples...with the non bowling players standing on the bank.
    i can’t see many players going for this ....especially the older players with health conditions.
    im not that ancient and not sure if I want to go indoors.
    whats everyone’s views?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 35/3
    Given: 0/1

Certainly, outdoors, even triples does not seem really feasible if you want to be strict about it - we are playing triples (with decent gaps between active rinks), but are undoubtedly a bit 'lax' on 'Apartheid' at all times. I would not want to go any further with player-density.

In reality, only half of our (grass club) membership have returned to playing bowls - the other half have other issues and seem to have written this year off and are often self-isolating. Interestingly, almost all of the outdoor carpet club members are playing, including some with health issues.

The indoors sports centre where I play(ed) short-mat (in the large 5-a-side football etc hall) has just announced it will re-open next week; as yet, the resumption of short-mat has not been announced, and I wonder how many of the regulars would come back - nearly all are fairly old (says a pensioner himself!) and with health issues of different sorts, although essentially fit.

At the end of the day, there is risk to everything, and everyone has to decide what level they are personally comfortable with and go with it. That's always been my view (helped, no doubt, by living in one of the safer areas of the country, until now, so I can more easily afford to hold it than many others) both in general and as regards the virus.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/9
    Given: 13/7

My indoor club are talking about opening on 1st September for small numbers of people having roll ups with internal leagues not starting before January. Changing rooms will be closed except for access to the toilets so you will have to bring your bowls and shoes with you every time and change on the edge of the green.

They have stated that a member of the Board of Directors will telephone every member during August to ask for their reactions.

Personally myself and my wife have decided that we will not return before January 2021. I think that the risks are too great at the moment and it hardly seems worth the bother of going down for a one hour roll-up once or twice a fortnight.

I appreciate that the Board of Directors of ALL indoor clubs have difficult decisions to make with the two aims of making sure of the good health of their members while at the same time ensuring that the club remains financially viable so that when all these virus problems are eventually overcome that there will be a club for members to enjoy to the full as we have done in previous years. I do not envy them the hard work and decisions that they will have to make.
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator

Thumbs Up/Down

I really want to support my indoor club ....only too aware that Blackpool and a Norfolk club have already announced closure. However, I couldn’t feel safe with as many people playing as usual....even if we don’t use the lockers and come in and out of separate doors. I just can’t see how it can work. Why did they not start with smaller numbers

Thumbs Up/Down

It's harder for indoors clubs economically - they will generally have higher costs than those operating outdoors, and, like all such venues, need a certain level of footfall to make it worth opening. Outdoors also have the 'benefit' of being just that - better ventilation and overall space, and you can get away with a bit more.

I only play indoors a few times each year during the winter, but wouldn't go in the current circumstances.

By comparison, many golf clubs are reporting significant increase in usage of their courses - and membership - since lockdown eased.

Thumbs Up/Down

Yes absolutely i was very surprised , in fact at first thought it meant 8 players only on the green.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 18/0
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    It's harder for indoors clubs economically - they will generally have higher costs than those operating outdoors, and, like all such venues, need a certain level of footfall to make it worth opening. Outdoors also have the 'benefit' of being just that - better ventilation and overall space, and you can get away with a bit more.

I only play indoors a few times each year during the winter, but wouldn't go in the current circumstances.

By comparison, many golf clubs are reporting significant increase in usage of their courses - and membership - since lockdown eased.
    BowlsEngland are expecting an announcement within the next week or so, that would allow the current outdoor limit of 30 to be a more "normal" number. But as you say, outdoors is, well, outdoors.
    Thirty years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming!

Thumbs Up/Down

Good to know: my grass club has very recently gained 2 new members, taking us to 31, just over the current magic number! The chances of everybody turning up on any occasion is a bit slim, however.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

For me the most significant change in Version 4 of the EIBA guidance, is the setting of specific standards ventilation systems must. Previously the guidance implied most systems would be OK. If we are to hold inter-club competitions visiting players need to know the club they are attending has taken steps to ensure its ventilation system meets the requirements. Surely clubs should have to provide evidence they have had their systems inspected - and modified, if necessary - and found to be compliant with the standards set.

Thumbs Up/Down

The announcements earlier today, have made all this a bit academic at the current time, although it may come to the fore again at some point. However, it all points to the difficulties that businesses face in trying to get ready for, and comply with, 'rules' in an ever-changing situation: more will no doubt decide that to do so, and incur additional costs with no guarantee of success, is just not worth it.