Thread: What size Bowl for indoors

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default What size Bowl for indoors

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi everybody

Just wanted to know what is the most popular size bowls for male indoor bowlers? I know selecting the size of a bowl is a personal thing but just wondered is a bigger size or smaller better for indoors?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/3
    Given: 0/1

This has been discussed in the past - see for example:

https://forum.julianhainesbowls.uk/s...e+bowls+to+use

There is no perfect, simple, answer, I'm afraid. Just experiment, and find a bowl that suits you on the surface you mainly play on - even then, you may need to change as age or other factors, such as health, change.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/2
    Given: 15/0

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Hayes View Post
    Hi everybody

Just wanted to know what is the most popular size bowls for male indoor bowlers? I know selecting the size of a bowl is a personal thing but just wondered is a bigger size or smaller better for indoors?
    When I started playing (2001) an ex county bowler advised me to use the biggest bowl I could comfortably hold (he used size 7s at the time). So I retired my size 3 Vectors and bought a new set of size 5s.

These days, I believe it is not uncommon for the elite bowlers to be using a size 4 or smaller. I don't know that you can buy a new bowl that's bigger than size 5.

It is more nuanced than just bowl size because he changes to grips these days can make a bowl feel half a size smaller.

In summary, I'd say size 4 is the answer ... probably!