Thread: Unsatisfactory Green

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 2/0

Default Unsatisfactory Green

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You may have difficulty in believing this but the following is true. For want of a better name I shall use the term ‘greenkeeper’ very loosely. Anyway, we are a small club that attempts to play rollups every Tuesday/Thursday. We do not play league matches but have the occasional friendly against other clubs (1 so far this season). The greenkeeper does not appear to have a scheduled programme of cutting although he knows we require it Tuesday/Thursday pm. The green has even been cut on a Saturday morning ready for us to use on Tuesday pm and complaining about to the greenkeeper about grass length has no effect. In fact we turn up to play not knowing when it has been cut. I do not know what the height of the cut is used, but we have difficulty rolling the jack over 75% of the length and it will never reach the ditch without superhuman effort. To ask 70/80 year old bowlers to bowl 18 ends on this surface seems to be very unwise but it is either that or not play. Do members of this forum have any views on official action that can be enacted ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/18
    Given: 2/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drofgum View Post
    You may have difficulty in believing this but the following is true. For want of a better name I shall use the term ‘greenkeeper’ very loosely. Anyway, we are a small club that attempts to play rollups every Tuesday/Thursday. We do not play league matches but have the occasional friendly against other clubs (1 so far this season). The greenkeeper does not appear to have a scheduled programme of cutting although he knows we require it Tuesday/Thursday pm. The green has even been cut on a Saturday morning ready for us to use on Tuesday pm and complaining about to the greenkeeper about grass length has no effect. In fact we turn up to play not knowing when it has been cut. I do not know what the height of the cut is used, but we have difficulty rolling the jack over 75% of the length and it will never reach the ditch without superhuman effort. To ask 70/80 year old bowlers to bowl 18 ends on this surface seems to be very unwise but it is either that or not play. Do members of this forum have any views on official action that can be enacted ?
    You have not given us much to go on, how is the club funded, is the grass cutter paid, is it private or council.Who runs the club, how many members, Is he a member , if not who employs him. ? Not knowing the full facts is awkward but, till we do i can tell you that with no other work being carried out ,it will not improve the surface just by cutting, there is a lot of work to do
    Last edited by john haydock; 05-06-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    No Grey Areas