Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Wedging an opponent's bowl.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    99
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/9
    Given: 0/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I suspect that the phrase may not have been used literally, but as in 'I can't play to my satisfaction'. I had a very similar e-mail conversation with someone earlier last week as regards golf: he had tried the game and given up as he could not play as he had envisaged (having been a sportsman previously - mostly rugby at a decent level) , switching to bowls, which he was enjoying. Bowls is fairly easy to play reasonably, but tricky to play consistently well - with or without adequate coaching, and that can cause frustration.
    Playing 'reasonably' is of course very subjective. Standards at club level aren't generally very high. At county level, it becomes a lot tougher and inadequacies become glaring. If your friend who gave up golf wants to make that standard then they'll face the same frustrations they experienced in golf i'd suggest.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,311
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/18
    Given: 2/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riche View Post
    You say you have coached in both sports as if that's a valid point! There is no comparison between the two sports in terms of coaching. One is professionally run, ours is very poorly run with little emphasis on 'how' to play. Now, you could point to the fact there is a lot more money in tennis. However, bowls has had over 1m dedicated to coaching over the past few years and we should at least have a very good starting point but we don't!

    Why do you always have these discussions and then assume I'm seeking coaching? For the record, I'm not. Bowls coach tutors are 'Top Class Instructors'? Well, you have your opinion on that and I have mine.
    I never assumed you needed coaching, but you did ask how you find out who the coaches are, and where they are,1million over the past few years that is peanuts compared to tennis, but there are far more youngsters involved in tennis, and lottery money too. If you are having to ask me where the coaches are, then I guess you are assuming they are not capable and you do not know them either.I happen to think that I have been involved in both sports is a valid point, How many Level 3 coaches do you actually know?
    No Grey Areas

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    592
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/3
    Given: 0/1

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riche View Post
    Playing 'reasonably' is of course very subjective. Standards at club level aren't generally very high. At county level, it becomes a lot tougher and inadequacies become glaring. If your friend who gave up golf wants to make that standard then they'll face the same frustrations they experienced in golf i'd suggest.
    Undoubtedly true. He wasn't a friend but someone I was in contact with and we ended up discussing sports.

    I suspect, however, that the chances of going horribly wrong in golf are far greater than in bowls, especially with the longer clubs! Distances are greater, so errors are magnified - and I've rarely encountered anyone who's lost their wood on the green whilst playing!

    Eldest son wanted to take up golf; bought some clubs and had a series of lessons with the club pro. I said I would take him out to mark some cards for a handicap. I could not convince him - a big strong lad - not to use his woods: which nearly alwasy went mightily astray, resulting in lost balls in gorse and/or the river/sea; I tried to get him to leave them in the bag and just use his irons to keep it on the fairway so he could finish a hole or two! He wouldn't, became frustrated and eventually after a number of attempt gave up golf, never to return.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    99
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/9
    Given: 0/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    I never assumed you needed coaching, but you did ask how you find out who the coaches are, and where they are,1million over the past few years that is peanuts compared to tennis, but there are far more youngsters involved in tennis, and lottery money too. If you are having to ask me where the coaches are, then I guess you are assuming they are not capable and you do not know them either.I happen to think that I have been involved in both sports is a valid point, How many Level 3 coaches do you actually know?
    John, you seem to have a very illogical way of discussing things which makes it difficult to answer your points.

    I asked who the level 3 BE & EIBA affiliated coaches are and how would I contact them. You said ask my County. Shouldn't it be easier than that to get hold of one? I asked it because I also know there are only a handful of them in the country (certainly not one per county) and there is no clear path to becoming one.

    I agree 1m is peanuts but to the sport of bowls it is huge. I'm not saying we should have the same level as tennis coaching, but we should have something consistent that helps a new player how to stand, hold the bowl, move, approach the mat etc. (Regarding Lottery money, where do you think the 1m came from?)

    Just because I asked where the Level 3 coaches are doesn't mean I think they are incapable? How on earth do you reach that conclusion?

    Your involvement in both sports is only valid if then you state something helpful that we weren't aware of. You were the one that compared tennis and bowls and I pointed out there was a chasm between the two in terms of coaching standards.

    How many Level 3 coaches do you know? I know of one, the current England Coach. I don't know any others, as I say, there are very few. (And I mean Level 3 BE & EIBA affiliated, from the Coach Bowls program, not some secret society that is unrecognised by the sports lawn bowls governing bodies in England)

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    99
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/9
    Given: 0/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Undoubtedly true. He wasn't a friend but someone I was in contact with and we ended up discussing sports.

    I suspect, however, that the chances of going horribly wrong in golf are far greater than in bowls, especially with the longer clubs! Distances are greater, so errors are magnified - and I've rarely encountered anyone who's lost their wood on the green whilst playing!

    Eldest son wanted to take up golf; bought some clubs and had a series of lessons with the club pro. I said I would take him out to mark some cards for a handicap. I could not convince him - a big strong lad - not to use his woods: which nearly alwasy went mightily astray, resulting in lost balls in gorse and/or the river/sea; I tried to get him to leave them in the bag and just use his irons to keep it on the fairway so he could finish a hole or two! He wouldn't, became frustrated and eventually after a number of attempt gave up golf, never to return.
    Yeah you are correct of course regarding the chance of losing a bowl!!

    However, the sport is a competitive one and anyone who comes from a sporting background will quickly become frustrated when they start to come up against the better players. I feel bowls needs to stop only appealing to those that want a social roll up and a chat over a cuppa and ALSO appeal to sports players. To do that, it needs a coaching program to help those that want to, reach that higher level. Currently, I don't see any evidence of that happening from BE or EIBA

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,311
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/18
    Given: 2/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riche View Post
    Yeah you are correct of course regarding the chance of losing a bowl!!

    However, the sport is a competitive one and anyone who comes from a sporting background will quickly become frustrated when they start to come up against the better players. I feel bowls needs to stop only appealing to those that want a social roll up and a chat over a cuppa and ALSO appeal to sports players. To do that, it needs a coaching program to help those that want to, reach that higher level. Currently, I don't see any evidence of that happening from BE or EIBA
    I said our top coaches were very good and you replied, “I will make my own mind up about that” the insinuation is yours.However I will take issue on the lack of coaching to teach players grip. Stance etc. You have these players in your club who want help etc, then your club has a responsibility to assist in finding it. Any new bowler to my club is given 4 free lessons with a club coach before joining, After that they are steered towards leagues and if requiring any further help , they are encouraged to ask. The players I have coached would certainly do that and still do, They also enjoy the course we run on measuring exercises, and the correct way to Mark a singles match, . So the club has some responsibility.I am sorry if I am defending a sport I am passionate about, not trying to be awkward, you have some valid points, When we ran new courses for beginners over 6 weeks, covering everything the last week we invited established members to play a match with them, then have cheese and wine after, 2mornings a week we have friendship bowling, just like a roll up, I go sometimes to see how my bowlers are progressing and play with the group, gives them another chance to talk about problems, so maybe I am hoping that all clubs are doing as much, With regard to the English Bowls Coaching Society, this used to be the EBC scheme,members were treated badly and formed the society. In those days (prior to 2003) we had a manual for coaches detailing all the info.The training courses for new coaches was conducted by Top Coach and in the last week a National Umpire As well. That is I feel ignored often these days hence I am sure you will agree knowledge of the laws even among many good players is very limited. Anyway hope this goes a little way to explain how I feel, keep safe JH
    No Grey Areas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •