Thread: Free coaching sessions for beginners - but how many?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Free coaching sessions for beginners - but how many?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi - thanks for having me on this forum.

I coach beginners at our club (in UK). The club doesn't charge for these sessions which are meant to encourage people to start playing. By the end of the third session I will have told people about club membership - or say if people are still undecided but want to continue coming to sessions then they must pay green fees. (To be fair, many people have already joined the club before this point).

A number of members don't like this arrangement, and say that people ought to pay green fees each time they come - even the very first time they turn up! To help me counter this viewpoint, I'd be interested to know what other clubs/coaches do respecting the number of 'free' sessions they allow beginners before they have to start paying membership/green fees - and apologise if the answer is already elsewhere on this forum!

John.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 67/18
    Given: 2/2

Hi we allow visitors with coaching on 4 occasions, membership has no problem with this arrangement, no charge for this and the coaching is usually indoors
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/3
    Given: 0/1

We give a series of coaching sessions (I think 6?), that 'newbies' are encouraged to come to, and the person can decide on membership at the end (although, again, some join before or during this run of sessions) - in my case, these were naturally held outdoors (all we have!), although it would be possible to hold some in the clubhouse that mainly dealing with non practical bowling aspects.

If someone is already a bowler, or does not want the sessions, they can come along on a number of occasions - 5, I think - with no charge to see how they feel about the club.

Anyone who is not a member must sign in as a visitor - even before COVID, for insurance reasons.

No member has ever compiained, that I know of, about non-members using club facilities freely - I have never known it over-used, with only a small membership (down to 25 or thereabouts this season).

At the local all-weather green club I am also a member at, there is no formal coaching, and non-members who come along are in therory charged 2 a session, but that is never sought in practice, and they are encouraged - but not obliged - to bring a packet of biscuits, of tea or coffee instead. Again, never any objections to this - it's a club of c.30 members. All members have access keys and can bring non-members along, even on days when we have no club games/roll-ups. Again, non-members should sign-in.

Thumbs Up/Down

We do four free sessions for new bowlers and no complaints from members. Better they are competent to play and given time at the beginning, plenty of time to get them to spend money behind the bar and play friendliest etc. We are both an indoor and outdoor club and never charge green fees for coaching.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/7
    Given: 1/0

We offer six free coaching sessions. Then new members are offered membership pro rata'd down from the full fee. Usually fairly generously reduced as well.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thank you for your comments: we have now come to an amicable resolution 🙂

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/3
    Given: 0/1

If the club is happy with it becoming public, what was the outcome? It could help others who might be in the same position at some point.