Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another bowls manufacturer

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 72/18
    Given: 2/2

Default Another bowls manufacturer

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I see that another company, Biased Bowls are producing 2models, one slightly tighter than the VS and the other I think slightly tighter than the Ace,with the bias of bowls having a varying bias among the same model, it will be very interesting, I believe the bowls will retail at 360 ,Is there room in the market for more,I think they will struggle for a long time ,There are lots of variations in markings ,remains to be seen when the first bowls appear
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/3
    Given: 0/1

Interesting - they seem to be a new firm, only incorporated in Scotland as a company at the end of February, although that doesn't preclude earlier work on the 'idea'. They offer 2 'types' of bowl - both manufactured for them by Taylors. The company seems to be a design / marketing / sales concern - the latter seemingly direct sales, only at the moment?

The website has little to say about the performance or what differentiates their bowls from others on the market: the USP or Unique Selling Proposition as marketeers like to say - although they do refer to the grip, absence of straight lines intended to aid the aerodynamic ability of the bowls, and the 'free', albeit limited, personalisation of a set. Their bowls are 'only' produced as sizes 0 to 3 - currently nothing outside this, even by special order it would seem: presumably they have done their market research on this as to the likely numbers to be sold of sizes outside that range .

In golf, many players were keen to keep buying every new club - especially drivers - that were brought out by the manuafacturers, often at very high cost, where a single club could exceed that of a set of bowls, in the hope of 'buying' increased performance. Perhaps this will be the case with bowls, to some extent, but will it be enough to make the company a viable concern, as John suggests? Aero sought to be different, and has a following - but they did have a USP, with their 'Sidney Harbour Bridge' bowling line, and various tag-lines.

Their website gives a bias chart - but only showing that of the two bowls offered, with no comparisons to other makes. Did you have an 'inside' line on this, John?

Thumbs Up/Down

There is info in the new edition of Bowls International. Aero bowls have been around a while and there is only 1set being used in my club(combined indoor and out).
    Last edited by john haydock; 27-07-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

There are none in use at my clubs - but, just last week, I did come across two people that had Aeros: definitely there seems to be a more limited penetration here than in their home region.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/2
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    There are none in use at my clubs - but, just last week, I did come across two people that had Aeros: definitely there seems to be a more limited penetration here than in their home region.

Come to essex. Plenty of aeros in use here. Having said in another post i was going to use pro50 regularly, struggled with them. Changed to aero groove, game improved to the extent i am in the county 4s final this weekend coming.

Thumbs Up/Down

Best wishes for it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/2

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Best wishes for it.

Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

On biased Facebook page it states the tightest ones are bias of old vectors, the widest ones like aces, I've never tried old vectors but from what I've read and heard they are between vs and ace.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Finny View Post
    On biased Facebook page it states the tightest ones are bias of old vectors, the widest ones like aces, I've never tried old vectors but from what I've read and heard they are between vs and ace.
    My recollection of old vectors is they were tighter than VS, but there is a wide variety of line on VS even same sizes have varying lines,, the Ace is wider ,but the nearest to vs is the Blaze in my opinion
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

I had a set of old Vectors and would say they fell between the VS and - older/wider - Ace's. I've never used Blaze, but one member at my 'heavy' grass club has them and them seem tighter than VS's - at least in his hands.

The seeming bias/delivery of bowls can vary a lot dependent on the surafce and your personal delivery style - which is why John and others repeatedly say to try the bowls and, if possible, the actual set, before you buy to see how they perform for you.