Thread: Bowls England National Finals 2021 Streaming

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/2
    Given: 15/0

Default Bowls England National Finals 2021 Streaming

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I was able to follow the streamed matches from Leamington on Tues and Wed. The Women's Pairs had a dream finish for the broadcast.

I appreciated being able to watch and hope the experiment is at least repeated.

I did wonder about the fairness of having one semi-finalist playing on the same grass in the final (even if the marks are moved) but I don't know what's normal in allocating rinks when there aren't cameras.

Anyway, +1 from me

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 71/18
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHares View Post
    I was able to follow the streamed matches from Leamington on Tues and Wed. The Women's Pairs had a dream finish for the broadcast.

I appreciated being able to watch and hope the experiment is at least repeated.

I did wonder about the fairness of having one semi-finalist playing on the same grass in the final (even if the marks are moved) but I don't know what's normal in allocating rinks when there aren't cameras.

Anyway, +1 from me
    Agreed it was a good experiment, I wonder if it affected attendances on those days, With regard to rinks that comes down to the Controlling Body to allocate as they want.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/2
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Agreed it was a good experiment, I wonder if it affected attendances on those days, With regard to rinks that comes down to the Controlling Body to allocate as they want.

I doubt that attendances were affected at all, not that may people there on the two days i have been there. With up to five greens being used at any one time, depending on which rounds are being played, audiences are spread pretty thinly. As the cost of streaming was apparently £2000 per day, no wonder only two days were done as an experiment for next year.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by showaddy View Post
    I doubt that attendances were affected at all, not that may people there on the two days i have been there. With up to five greens being used at any one time, depending on which rounds are being played, audiences are spread pretty thinly. As the cost of streaming was apparently £2000 per day, no wonder only two days were done as an experiment for next year.
    Seems very expensive,Actually thinking about it in relation to the number of clubs it may not be .This week a new strategy for the next 4years talks of 2000 clubs hoping to encourage some 1million people to try bowls, I think that works out about 50 a club, I wonder what sort of finances BE have, Most county associations are sitting on very healthy balances,So if the cost is shared between BE and the Counties, it should be very affordable ,and provide a service to the players and clubs who finance bowls, Or maybe I am expecting to much!!!
    Last edited by john haydock; 28-08-2021 at 12:18 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 0/1

1m at 2k clubs = 500 av. per club, not 50. But this number has no bearing on cost and really means little as it stands - even the 1m figure appears to have different 'meanings' in different places of the Strategy and it's unveiling comments. In the website launch statement it was said:

“Our ultimate goal is, through this strategy, to see 1m people a year playing bowls at one of our incredible 2,000 clubs across the country by 2026.”

Compare with another statement there: "....
    stark reality for our sport; 150,000 players 20 years ago has become 80,000 today" , which equates to 40 per club on average over 2000.

Streaming cost : £2000 x 2days = £4000 cost - spread over 2000 clubs = £2 av. per club

BE gives the budget for the new 5yr strategy at £500k, stated to be 'of reserves', presumably its own? - which, over 2k clubs, is £250 - or, £50 a year - each, on average.

New Strategies in any context always seem to get the glossy/hyped treatment with plenty of nice vague terms/words - very rarely do you see a similar treatment for a retrospective appreciation of what has actually happened under the previous 'New Exciting' plan.

“No plan of operations can be at all relied upon beyond the first encounter with the enemy’s main force. Only the civilian believes that he can see in the course of a campaign the consequence of an original plan formed beforehand.”

Negative, or just sceptical?
    Last edited by corptaxman; 29-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    1m at 2k clubs = 500 av. per club, not 50. But this number has no bearing on cost and really means little as it stands - even the 1m figure appears to have different 'meanings' in different places of the Strategy and it's unveiling comments. In the website launch statement it was said:

“Our ultimate goal is, through this strategy, to see 1m people a year playing bowls at one of our incredible 2,000 clubs across the country by 2026.”

Compare with another statement there: "....
    stark reality for our sport; 150,000 players 20 years ago has become 80,000 today" , which equates to 40 per club on average over 2000.

Streaming cost : £2000 x 2days = £4000 cost - spread over 2000 clubs = £2 av. per club

BE gives the budget for the new 5yr strategy at £500k, stated to be 'of reserves', presumably its own? - which, over 2k clubs, is £250 - or, £50 a year - each, on average.

New Strategies in any context always seem to get the glossy/hyped treatment with plenty of nice vague terms/words - very rarely do you see a similar treatment for a retrospective appreciation of what has actually happened under the previous 'New Exciting' plan.

“No plan of operations can be at all relied upon beyond the first encounter with the enemy’s main force. Only the civilian believes that he can see in the course of a campaign the consequence of an original plan formed beforehand.”

Negative, or just sceptical?
    Thank you maths was never my strong point.Still think it does not seem good for the future for outdoor clubs .
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 0/1

I can only think you're right, John.

History has tended to show that any large / publicised event will bring in new participants, and in decent numbers, but often not for long.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/2
    Given: 15/0

YouTube has pushed me a notification of the Mixed Pairs tomorrow from 09:20

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHares View Post
    YouTube has pushed me a notification of the Mixed Pairs tomorrow from 09:20
    Thanks for that