Thread: Repeat chalking of a toucher

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/3
    Given: 0/1

Default Repeat chalking of a toucher

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yesterday, in our Mens' Singles Final match I was playing in, my opponent bowled a clear 'toucher' and the marker stepped in to chalk it with old-style 'stick' white chalk. The bowl was a lightly speckled, predominently white, wood. My next bowl was also a toucher, and the marker again stepped in to chalk this - a plain black bowl. As the two were very close, he noticed that he could not see any original chalk marks on the first toucher, so re-applied chalk.

I was not going to challenge this, as it had clearly been a toucher at the time - but should the second application strictly have been done, as it was after the 'next delivered' wood had come to rest, or, having been applied, removed, leaving things as they might be, even if nobody could see what might have been there?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 68/18
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Yesterday, in our Mens' Singles Final match I was playing in, my opponent bowled a clear 'toucher' and the marker stepped in to chalk it with old-style 'stick' white chalk. The bowl was a lightly speckled, predominently white, wood. My next bowl was also a toucher, and the marker again stepped in to chalk this - a plain black bowl. As the two were very close, he noticed that he could not see any original chalk marks on the first toucher, so re-applied chalk.

I was not going to challenge this, as it had clearly been a toucher at the time - but should the second application strictly have been done, as it was after the 'next delivered' wood had come to rest, or, having been applied, removed, leaving things as they might be, even if nobody could see what might have been there?
    The marker did nothing wrong,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 6/1

This is a case where the Laws and practises of the sport have not kept up with technology. I switched to Lilac spray chalk after noticing that white was basically invisible in the new speckled bowls. The Lilac is still very light, but it has just enough contrast that you can see it against the white.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
    This is a case where the Laws and practises of the sport have not kept up with technology. I switched to Lilac spray chalk after noticing that white was basically invisible in the new speckled bowls. The Lilac is still very light, but it has just enough contrast that you can see it against the white.
    There is a green one as well,how would technology help us ?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Technology seems to have become word used in a far wider context than it would have been.

Do these coloured chalks work on all the non-traditional coloured bowls one might encounter, or do you need the whole pallette of chalks to be sure of covering everything?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/3
    Given: 6/1

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Technology seems to have become word used in a far wider context than it would have been.

Do these coloured chalks work on all the non-traditional coloured bowls one might encounter, or do you need the whole pallette of chalks to be sure of covering everything?
    Most of the bowls I've seen have stuck to fairly bold colours. The pastel pink stands out pretty well.

I used to referee soccer in the US, and when I started they had just introduced their first non-black shirt. It was bright fuchsia, so it never blended in with anything worn by teams. Same idea.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
    Most of the bowls I've seen have stuck to fairly bold colours. The pastel pink stands out pretty well.

I used to referee soccer in the US, and when I started they had just introduced their first non-black shirt. It was bright fuchsia, so it never blended in with anything worn by teams. Same idea.
    plenty pastel shades around, my wife’s are white with black flecks,you cannot cover all colours, how long before we have a tri colour spray?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

I was wondering about that - when young, my father brought home a multi-coloured biro that fascinated me. A bulky barrel on it.