Thread: Giving instructions to the skip in a hat game

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 1/0

Default Giving instructions to the skip in a hat game

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I was playing skip in a friendly pairs hat game when my team-mate kept shouting instructions to me.

Not finding the instructions helpful or necessary, I politely asked for them to be stopped.

My team-mate threw a strop and that match was continued with a bad atmosphere.

I felt bad afterwards, thinking I should have just kept quiet.

But was I wrong?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

It is nearly always best to remain quiet unless asked for advice , or a situation at the head has changed offering ether a forehand or backhand opportunity to enhance the score if not obvious at mat end.However system of communication between partners, 2nd or 3rd should be discussed, organised and agreed on before play commenced.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/2
    Given: 15/0

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I was playing skip in a friendly pairs hat game when my team-mate kept shouting instructions to me.

Not finding the instructions helpful or necessary, I politely asked for them to be stopped.

My team-mate threw a strop and that match was continued with a bad atmosphere.

I felt bad afterwards, thinking I should have just kept quiet.

But was I wrong?
    Hard to answer without knowing the people involved.

Seniority and familiarity your strengths would be where I'd expect most direction from the head. If you've just left the head, I wouldn't expect to get advice.

For a fun game I wouldn't think it worth being critical ... just try to get some fun out of the suggestions and discuss with your opposite skip.