Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why step forward during delivery

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/3
    Given: 0/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    With the shooter stance the hips aren't 'square' to the line, but as long as you keep the shoulders square, and step down the line, it is a small issue that, in my case, is a outweighed by getting my hip out of the way of my elbow.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 7/0

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/3
    Given: 0/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There's rarely anything new - even in discussions. For me, this post #12 says a lot:

"From what i've seen of the best players they seme to have a flowing action and reverting to a static action would make things awkward and mechanical.It seems to me that the best players like to just concioulsy switch off and let their natural ability take over rather than be static and uncomfortable and to think about things too much"

I would entirely agree. Using the big muscles rather than small ones leads to a more flowing action that's easier to control, and the smaller muscles tend to automatically react to it. The only caveat is that looking at things by reference to 'the best players' can be somewhat misleading when applied to ordinary players who have to find more compromises.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

We have 4 bowlers at our club that bowl from a static stance. All are over 75, one a new bowler who struggles with mobility and 3 who are very accomplished. 2 of them are prominent members of our league team. They’re not the most flexible of bowlers, and they’ve migrated to a stance that allows them to carry on bowling.

If it works, why not.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 72/18
    Given: 2/2

Absolutely many use static stance and why not, it becomes a necessity later in life, as soon as I realise a new member has mobility problems we go static, in fact before we start I always enquire as to if there are any problems I need to know about ,medical or mobility wise,in case I need to deal with a condition, that comes really from my time coaching squash when I was more aware of problems requiring emergency treatment,With players who are able, I still teach the step forward delivery, and as a last resort static,both styles have produced good bowlers, But most of the “better players” are using step forward. The reason for the step forward delivery is that the first action in delivery is the forward movement of the shoulders by bending at the waist, and if you do not step forward you are tipping over, if you watch the two styles you should notice that players who step through produce a better follow through,this resulting in a better delivery and more control.
    Last edited by john haydock; 04-01-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    No Grey Areas